May 27, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Unfortunately Memphis, we know how this movie is going to end. No team in NBA history has ever come back from 3-0 down in a best-of-seven series and the Grizzlies just do not have the firepower to change that trend.
But that doesn’t mean the season has to end Monday night.
Memphis has taken the last two games to overtime; they are fully capable of a win in this series. Heck, maybe they should already have one. Here are the three things they need to keep their series alive until at least Wednesday night.
1) Slow down Tony Parker (and Tim Duncan, too). A lot easier said than done. But this has been the real issue in the series, the Spurs stars have found ways to score and break down a good defense. For the first two games Tony Parker was coming off the pick and getting into the lane at will. Memphis adjusted and did better with that in Game 3 pressuring Parker, but San Antonio adjusted as well and started having pick-and-pop Tim Duncan rolling hard to the rim. It was unexpected but it continued to give San Antonio what it needed — a guy in the paint making plays. It was key to their comeback
Parker was in attack mode in Game 3’s second half and either got into the lane himself or made the smart pass to the open man. San Antonio had a counter for the Grizzlies big move. Now how does Memphis respond — they need to keep Parker or Duncan from getting the ball into the paint and making plays.
2) Somebody knock down some outside shots. Please. Memphis has shot just 38.4 percent this series and that has a cumulative effect — Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol have less room to operate because defenders pack the paint on them, and Memphis can’t make San Antonio pay a price for leaving guys on the perimeter. Quincy Pondexter has had some success and gotten San Antonio’s attention but the Spurs have ignored most of the Grizzlies shooters and instead worked on fronting the post making life difficult.
The Grizzlies have had better success earlier in the clock this series, rather than letting San Antonio set its defense, so picking up the pace would be a good start.
But part of this falls to the Memphis big men — they need to establish position, demand the ball then do something with it. It would help if they could get Duncan into foul trouble, also, the Spurs defense isn’t nearly as good when he sits.
3) Stay calm and carry on. You are in a tough spot and you know at some point Monday night the Spurs are going to make a run. Get a big lead and they will walk you down, as they did in Game 3. You have to keep playing and executing your plan — don’t try to do too much. And don’t accept what is coming as inevitable. Even if we all think it is. You need to play desperate yet not be rattled.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
It looked good as soon as it left his hands.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
Playoff games are played in the halfcourt and the Nets owned that in Game 1.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
A rare and raw show of emotion from a team’s GM was caught on camera.
Nash to Nowitzki: ‘What would you do if you were me? Would you come back?’ Dirk: ‘I’m not sure, bro.’ (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Dirk Nowizki is brutally honest.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
“Garnett and Pierce are so old the Raptor had to ask his dad about them.”
Apr 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Words continue to be exchanged between two teams that clearly don’t like each other.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
The owners are behind Silver’s effort to raise the age limit. Now there’s just the pesky matter of negotiating with the players’ union.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
You can construct a scenario where the Pacers are in trouble… except they play the Hawks.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Making your playoff preview reading convenient.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT
Grizzlies’ guard will definitely be missed in the rotation.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:50 AM EDT
We may not see him on the sidelines of TNT games these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
This should be the East’s most competitive first round matchup.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
How quickly can Miami flip the switch?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Can the Pacers regain their early-season swagger now that the playoffs are here?
Apr 18, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Expect a fight by the end of Game 2.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
People shouldn’t sleep on the Raptors, particularly the Nets.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Dallas has lost nine straight to San Antonio. Don’t expect that streak to stop now.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
All the draft lottery odds are here, so Lakers fans can look and see what that little run of wins to close out the season did to their odds.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
We look at all 8 first round series.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Memphis’ grit and grind will make it hard on the Thunder.
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 20
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 28
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 29