Pau Gasol is like everyone else: waiting on Dwight Howard

May 27, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

The Lakers shopped Pau Gasol around a little at the trade deadline (or at least listened to offers of people that called them, if you prefer that fine-line distinction).

This summer the Lakers could test Gasol’s trade value again. Or they could keep him. Or they could amnesty him (although that seems a real long shot).

But every decision the Lakers make this summer hinges on one thing: What Dwight Howard decides.

If Howard leaves the Lakers then Pau Gasol will be back with the team next fall. If Howard returns the Lakers can explore other options, whether or not they take them.

And since Howard wants to take his time, talk to a lot of teams and be wooed, and he can’t even start to do that until July 1, Gasol knows the first part of his summer is going to be one of uncertainty. Gasol sounded resigned to that speaking to Sam Amick of the USA Today. I guess.

“Dwight is looking at his options, and there’s nothing wrong with that, I guess,” Pau said. “I’m not him. I’m not in his position, but I guess it all starts with his decision and I’m sure the franchise is waiting to see whether he decides to sign (with the Lakers) or sign with somebody else, I guess….

“Obviously from the team’s standpoint, the sooner Dwight makes his decision the better,” Pau said. “And as players and teammates too (it’s better), because in a way I don’t know — there’s certain things that depend on his decision, right? Probably. I don’t know what percentage (it factors in), or to what extent, but to some extent yes.”

There is no answer now for Gasol, he understands that. During their exit meeting Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak was apologetically vague with Gasol about future plans, because he doesn’t know how things will turn out.

Gasol is just going to have to ride this out. I guess.

1. logisticalvoices - May 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Lakers fans, you don’t deserve to have your franchise held hostage by this deva. You need to be sending this guy on the next train out of town. This is what Dwight does: hold franchise hostage, not caring about who else gets run over in the process.

• zxrated - May 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Kobe 30 million dollar contact is what’s holding the Lakers hostage. That’s double downed on now that Kobe will likely miss half of next season.

• jedifriedchicken - May 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

It’s Jim Buss’ pride that’s got us in this mess when he didn’t give Phil Jackson the coaching job when he had the chance…

2. sportsnut101 - May 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Why do reporters think that just anyone will take gasol. Do they realize he was injured he had surgery as well.

They gonna have to take on a bad contract to get rid of him

Do I want gasol on my team yes but not at 19 mil

Dhoward u said u didn’t wanna follow in shaq footsteps ha u are buddy if u resign there.

Hope he leaves for Houston. So let’s see last yr in Orlando he made playoffs. N they just had him. With lakers they made playoffs with him Kobe Nash n gasol n barely at that he is finally in control of where he plays. Sign with bk for 5 mil ha

3. andrewproughcfe - May 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Wouldn’t it be great if the Lakers sent him back to the Grizzlies? If Memphis could go into the playoffs with Marc, Pau, Zach and Conley healthy, that would be a seriously formidable lineup.

• badintent - May 29, 2013 at 2:01 AM

was thinking the same thing watching the Grizz lose the series to Spurs. Would be real interesting , both great passing tall men and would give Hollins several options for rotations. These guys would get the touches in the right places, no ball hog to deal with .Both I think Pau goes back to medical school to become the world’s tallest surgeon. I hope his own knee surgery goes well.

4. moseskkim - May 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM

U don’t let an elite level talent walk if u can get him. I think we all had huge expectations and he still put up great numbers. U build your franchise around him and hope it works out.
    Kobe making 30 does handcuff the team a bit but he’s the face of the franchise and he signed that extension few years back. You can’t use hindsight and say o Kobe’s making 30 mil he’s not worth that. He still is elite level and if we’ve learned anything bout kobe, he’ll be back and he’ll be dang good.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches