Joe Theismann and the ridiculous idea of LeBron as an NFL quarterback

May 27, 2013, 12:32 PM EST

LeBron James Football Getty Images

Sometimes at PBT an item crosses our desk (or laptop, in reality) that we shrug off as ludicrous and move on. But then that item circles around to become a thing, a talking point around the Web and we need to address it. This is one of those cases.

Joe Theismann, the former NFL quarterback who changed his last name pronunciation to rhyme with Heisman, thinks he could help LeBron James be an NFL quarterback once he’s done with basketball. That’s what he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

“I would love to work him out and also serve as his agent,” Theismann said in a phone interview Saturday with FOX Sports Florida. “I’ll go wherever he wants this summer. He could play another four years in the NBA before seriously trying the NFL. … There are not a lot of 38- or 39-year-old basketball players, but there are 38- and 39-year-old quarterbacks, so there’s always time for him.”

This all started because someone asked LeBron if he thought he could have been a good quarterback.

“I think so,” said James, who played quarterback on the freshman team at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio, in 1999 before shifting to wide receiver on the varsity in 2000 and 2001. As a senior in 2002, James chose to concentrate on basketball. “I have the ability. I can see and read plays. I study a lot, so I know defenses and things of that nature. So I would have been pretty good if I had decided to go for it.”

Ugh.

Is there any athlete in any sport that doesn’t think he could have been absolutely great at some other job? They all think they could be rap stars or congressmen or business tycoons or whatever. It’s rarely true.

Does LeBron James have the athleticism to play in the NFL? Yes. Even his most ardent critics grant he’s a physical freak of nature. Does LeBron have the mentality to take the punishment that comes with playing in the NFL? I don’t know, I don’t care enough to think about it, so draw your own conclusions.

Why is Theismann even discussing this? I think the omniscient (and seemingly omnipresent) Mike Florio summed it up well at ProFootballTalk.

So why is Theismann willing to help James?  “I need a job,” Theismann said.

Apparently, hawking prostate pills doesn’t pay as much as you’d think.

Latest Posts
  1. Derrick Rose scheduled for surgery Friday, will have all or part of meniscus removed

Feb 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EST

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

He is having all or part of the meniscus removed, which makes for a faster recovery.

2. Reports: Kings’ Darren Collison to have surgery, likely done for season

Feb 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

While in theory he could return for a few games, in practice that’s not going to happen.

3. Heat sign Michael Beasley to 10-day contract

Feb 26, 2015, 1:11 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - 2014 NBA Finals Game Three Getty Images

This will be Beasley’s third stint with Miami

4. Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers?

Feb 26, 2015, 12:29 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Reports emerging Rondo ‘unlikely’ to re-sign with Dallas

5. This is the fear: Is Derrick Rose on his way to the Penny Hardaway, Bill Walton club?

Feb 26, 2015, 11:12 AM EST

Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose waits for the start of a media interview at the start of the team's training camp at the Berto Arena in Chicago, Illinois Reuters

It’s too early to say with Rose what hs legacy will be.

6. Jusuf Nurkic gets most-polite technical foul (video)

Feb 26, 2015, 9:08 AM EST

Phoenix Suns v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Nuggets center just handed ball to Markieff Morris

7. Frustrated DeMarcus Cousins takes out anger kicking chair (VIDEO)

Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 AM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Cousins tried to contain his anger and did… until the folding chair provoked him.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. M. Carter-Williams (8274)
  2. K. Durant (8227)