Joe Theismann and the ridiculous idea of LeBron as an NFL quarterback

May 27, 2013, 12:32 PM EST

LeBron James Football Getty Images

Sometimes at PBT an item crosses our desk (or laptop, in reality) that we shrug off as ludicrous and move on. But then that item circles around to become a thing, a talking point around the Web and we need to address it. This is one of those cases.

Joe Theismann, the former NFL quarterback who changed his last name pronunciation to rhyme with Heisman, thinks he could help LeBron James be an NFL quarterback once he’s done with basketball. That’s what he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

“I would love to work him out and also serve as his agent,” Theismann said in a phone interview Saturday with FOX Sports Florida. “I’ll go wherever he wants this summer. He could play another four years in the NBA before seriously trying the NFL. … There are not a lot of 38- or 39-year-old basketball players, but there are 38- and 39-year-old quarterbacks, so there’s always time for him.”

This all started because someone asked LeBron if he thought he could have been a good quarterback.

“I think so,” said James, who played quarterback on the freshman team at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio, in 1999 before shifting to wide receiver on the varsity in 2000 and 2001. As a senior in 2002, James chose to concentrate on basketball. “I have the ability. I can see and read plays. I study a lot, so I know defenses and things of that nature. So I would have been pretty good if I had decided to go for it.”

Ugh.

Is there any athlete in any sport that doesn’t think he could have been absolutely great at some other job? They all think they could be rap stars or congressmen or business tycoons or whatever. It’s rarely true.

Does LeBron James have the athleticism to play in the NFL? Yes. Even his most ardent critics grant he’s a physical freak of nature. Does LeBron have the mentality to take the punishment that comes with playing in the NFL? I don’t know, I don’t care enough to think about it, so draw your own conclusions.

Why is Theismann even discussing this? I think the omniscient (and seemingly omnipresent) Mike Florio summed it up well at ProFootballTalk.

So why is Theismann willing to help James?  “I need a job,” Theismann said.

Apparently, hawking prostate pills doesn’t pay as much as you’d think.

Latest Posts
  1. Kobe Bryant on if he returns next season: “Yeah, that’s the plan”

Jan 30, 2015, 9:34 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Did anyone think he would get injured and say, “nah, I don’t want to fight through this” and walk away?

2. Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn

Jan 30, 2015, 8:37 AM EST

Orlando Magic v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Already facing scrutiny, Vaughn oversaw 15-point loss to Bucks last night

3. One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol

Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 AM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“I really appreciate him coming, I didn’t expect it at all.” —Pau Gasol

4. Report: Magic haven’t ruled out firing Jacque Vaughn in-season

Jan 29, 2015, 10:45 PM EST

Jacque Vaughn Jacque Vaughn

Management is displeased with their underperformance.

5. Lakers pass out “Thanks Pau” shirts, have video tribute for return of Gasol

Jan 29, 2015, 10:02 PM EST

Pau shirt front

“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”

6. Report: NBA passes rule raising the bar for team ownership

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

2015 Throne Boxing 2015 Throne Boxing

The new rule is an attempt to curtail Jay Z-style figurehead owners.

7. The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference

Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

DeMarcus Cousins DeMarcus Cousins

Damian Lillard, Kyle Korver, DeMarcus Cousins and more.

8. James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves

Jan 29, 2015, 7:27 PM EST

Houston Rockets v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

DeMarcus Cousins and Damian Lillard were left off in the West.

9. Timberwolves troll Kevin Love in advance of his Saturday return with Cavaliers (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EST

Kevin Love Kevin Love

A promotional video hyping the matchup features plenty of players, but Kevin Love is noticeably absent.

10. Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson

Jan 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Six Getty Images

Brooks may last the season, but may not if Thunder miss the playoffs. Jackson, meanwhile, has been marginalized ever since Dion Waiters was acquired.

11. Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks

Jan 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade may be selected as an All-Star reserve Thursday night, but wouldn’t play in the midseason exhibition if the timeline holds true.

12. Paul George, family discuss night of leg injury, recovery (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

“I looked down to see my legs, and I saw my bone. The second I saw my bone, I just lost it.”

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches