May 26, 2013, 1:54 AM EDT
For the third game in a row, Tony Parker’s quickness off the dribble was the thing Memphis really had no answer for, and his penetration into the paint led to more defensive breakdowns. This to a Memphis team that was really rock solid all season. And the result is a Spurs team up 3-0.
After a first quarter to forget (1-of-4 shooting with four turnovers) it was more of the same — 14 of Parker’s 22 shots came inside the paint (or on the low box) in this game. Parker finished with a team-high 26 points. Which actually is sort of what the Grizzlies wanted — they wanted him to shoot contested shots rather than kick out to wide-open shooters on the wings (which killed them the last couple games). But that is a double-edged sword because Parker can score.
And how do you think his five assists came? Actually, no, not drive and kicks. Each time he came off a pick, pulled multiple defenders parallel out with him then hit either someone like Matt Bonner on the pop or Tim Duncan rolling down the lane.
Lionel Hollins can try, but he can’t scheme this away because if his rock star perimeter defender is focused on Parker then Manu Ginobili starts to do his thing (19 points and 5 assists in this game). Hollins doesn’t have the tools to fix it.
There have been flashes of success. Allen had that on Parker in the final three minutes of regulation Saturday (which is why Manu had the ball in his hands).
But it doesn’t last.
San Antonio is smart about how they set this up — the big setting the pick is almost always whoever Zach Randolph is guarding. They have exposed his perimeter defense. But in Game 3 even when it was Marc Gasol’s man who came out, Parker blew past the defensive player of the year a couple times like he was a statue.
Memphis may win Game 4. They certainly have been close the last two games and with a couple breaks this could be a different series.
But they were not going to win it without solving the Parker puzzle. And they are not close.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61