May 26, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Th Milwaukee Bucks are in the final stages of choosing their new head coach, and three candidates are expected to be brought in for second interviews next week, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks head coach Larry Drew, Rockets assistant coach Kelvin Sampson, and Lakers assistant coach Steve Clifford are the three finalists, and each has his strengths. While Drew has been an NBA head coach for the past three seasons, Sampson has a prior history with Milwaukee, and Clifford comes highly recommended.
Bucks general manager John Hammond has a stronger history with Sampson – who spent two years on the Milwaukee staff under Scott Skiles – but has been increasingly impressed with the possibilities with Clifford, sources said. Clifford has come strongly recommended by three former coaching colleagues that Hammond respects – Chicago’s Tom Thibodeau and Stan and Jeff Van Gundy.
We know where restricted free agent Brandon Jennings stands — he posted a picture of himself with Sampson from their time together when Sampson was a member of the Bucks’ staff, with a caption that read, “This my guy for Life. He needs to be a Head Coach in the NBA.”
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)