LeBron had two key late game turnovers, Jordan would never have… oh, yes he did (VIDEO)

May 26, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

LeBron James is not Michael Jordan. He doesn’t have the resume, he hasn’t shown he can sustain this high a level of play for an extended period of time yet.

But we have built up a mythology around Michael Jordan that he is was perfect, that he would never make mistakes. He would never do what LeBron did and have two key late game turnovers that would cost his team a playoff game…

Except he did. Second round 1995 playoffs against the Magic.

That is not peak Jordan, that is No. 45 just returned from baseball Jordan. Next season the Bulls would win 72 games and start another three-peat. We are seeing peak LeBron right now, so the comparison is not ideal.

But the point is Jordan was not perfect. We live in a different time, a different world now with social media and the Internet changing how we break down players and their games, it also changes our perception of athletes. We look back at Jordan punching Steve Kerr in practice as a sign of his toughness and leadership, if he did that now the reaction would be different. Same with the gambling and his off-the-court life. That is not better or worse, it just is true. Jordan came along at a perfect time for him to lift the league and become a cultural icon, not to mention he backed it up with the play of the G.O.A.T. (or at least a guy that has to be in that conversation, if you prefer). Culturally, there will never be another Jordan.

While some reading comprehension impaired commenters on this site think I am biased toward LeBron all I have ever said is this — we should wait to judge his legacy until he is done with the peak of his career. We don’t know his legacy yet. What I am is a fan of the game of basketball and if you love the game you should try to enjoy watching LeBron make plays like this right now because he is a once in a generation talent and a great player. Whatever issues people have with LeBron — or Jordan — speaks more to them and not the players themselves.

Hat tip to The Big Lead for finding this.

1. dgilet1 - May 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

That’s a bad example…once I saw the 45 I was wondering what the point was. The better example would be a couple of years later against Indiana when he slipped and fell and turned the ball over(even though they ended up winning the series and a chip). To bring up the year he came back from baseball doesn’t make sense to me

2. hus10188 - May 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

After this article, I’m now convinced dude’s on LBJ’s payroll. #Shill

3. BrownsTown - May 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Wow, Savannah must really be jealous over Kurt’s fawning.

4. deadeyedesign23 - May 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Have you considered that commenters aren’t “reading comprehension impaired,” but unable to understand your terrible grammar.

5. indianaviking - May 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So your point is that LBJ is equivalent to MJ45 and not MJ23? Am I reading this article correctly? I usually have a tough time making sense of PBT articles, but I think I’ve nailed this one.

6. Great Caesar's Ghost - May 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Lebron has already blown it several times in the playoffs so the “comparison” is moot. Jordan also didn’t need to team up with his special BFFs so they could help him win a single championship. The bottom line is Jordan dominated and Lebron does not.

• truthbetoldforsure - May 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Yeah Jordan just played with Scottie Pippen the 50 greatest who consistently guarded the best player on opposing team, Rodman the rebounding machine. Steve Kerr all time 3Point%, and the greatest coach of all time in Phil Jackson. I rather play with these guys than my BFFs

7. cfos00 - May 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Gotta ask, but why this is even getting brought up? Defending him by bringing up that yes, another human has actually not hit every shot ever, or turned it over in bad spots? This really comes off as defending a non-existent attack with a heavy bias, basically like a little kid argues. Let LeBron be Lebron. He has one ring and his career is still in progress. He also just had a bad 30 seconds. None of this has to do with MJ, so why even bring it up? Every time LeBron does or does not do something does not mean you have to compare it to the best ever.

8. indianaviking - May 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I only read PBT because it appears in the same app as PFT, and only read it when taking a dump. This article may make me reconsider even giving it that much attention. What a waste of pooping time, I could have been flicking through a Bleacher Report list.

9. truthbetoldforsure - May 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Pacers and their fans will be crying after Heat beat them. They always cry not getting enough calls and yet LBJ gets fouled out.
    They accuse Heat of flopping and yet they flop every chance they get.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches