May 26, 2013, 8:31 PM EST
Many thought there was a decent chance Wade might have faced a suspension for the blow to the head, even though it was more of a strange play than anything else, and the contact made by Wade’s elbow appeared to be entirely accidental.
Wade echoed the sentiment before Game 3 on Sunday, while saying he was never concerned about being punished too harshly for his actions because of the lack of intent to injure his opponent.
“I wasn’t worried because it wasn’t intentional,” Wade said, via Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. ”The NBA did a great job of looking at it and they gave it what they felt it deserved. Obviously, it wasn’t a play that affected the game and it wasn’t intentional at all. All I was doing was trying to get out of the way of him coming to try to set a screen on me at halfcourt while I was trying to chase Paul George down and I jumped around him.
“It’s an athletic game,” Wade said. “It was an athletic move. Unfortunately my arms went back but you see it wasn’t anything there and I have no history of that kind of stuff.”
As is the case with most plays like these, things looked much worse in slow motion, and even worse than that while looking only at a series of still images of the incident.
But Wade reiterated that he had no intent whatsoever of doing any harm to Stephenson with that wayward elbow.
“There was nothing malicious about it,” Wade said. “If you’re not there in the moment, it looks a little different.”
- Where I call out Dan Patrick, Charles Barkley for sounding like old men asking, “When did basketball get so bad?” 1
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 9
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 10
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)