Dwyane Wade after avoiding Game 3 suspension: ‘I wasn’t worried because it wasn’t intentional’

May 26, 2013, 8:31 PM EST

Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade drives between New Orleans Hornets in the second half of their NBA basketball game in Miami, Florida Reuters

Dwyane Wade wasn’t suspended for the elbow he landed to the head of Lance Stephenson in Game 2, although after the play was reviewed by the league office, it was upgraded to a flagrant one foul.

Many thought there was a decent chance Wade might have faced a suspension for the blow to the head, even though it was more of a strange play than anything else, and the contact made by Wade’s elbow appeared to be entirely accidental.

Wade echoed the sentiment before Game 3 on Sunday, while saying he was never concerned about being punished too harshly for his actions because of the lack of intent to injure his opponent.

“I wasn’t worried because it wasn’t intentional,” Wade said, via Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. “The NBA did a great job of looking at it and they gave it what they felt it deserved. Obviously, it wasn’t a play that affected the game and it wasn’t intentional at all. All I was doing was trying to get out of the way of him coming to try to set a screen on me at halfcourt while I was trying to chase Paul George down and I jumped around him.

“It’s an athletic game,” Wade said. “It was an athletic move. Unfortunately my arms went back but you see it wasn’t anything there and I have no history of that kind of stuff.”

As is the case with most plays like these, things looked much worse in slow motion, and even worse than that while looking only at a series of still images of the incident.

But Wade reiterated that he had no intent whatsoever of doing any harm to Stephenson with that wayward elbow.

“There was nothing malicious about it,” Wade said. “If you’re not there in the moment, it looks a little different.”

1. money2long - May 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM

wade : “but you see it wasn’t anything there and I have no history of that kind of stuff.”

yeah okay wade, sure, it’s certainly not as bad as a nut shot , so i guess you have a point.

2. logisticalvoices - May 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I used to love D-Wade and hate LBJ. Slowly, I have switched. I have slowly gained respect for LeBron after he bottomed out with the “Decision”. I loved Wade when he won the title with Shaq, but he seems to be turning into a real jerk.

• Great Caesar's Ghost - May 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I agree with you. He is compensating for his quickly declining skills with cheap shots. LBJ has proven to be a really nice guy.

• cfos00 - May 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I would say agree, but he’s been the dirtiest player in the league for a long time now. Breaking Kobe’s nose in an All-Star game (I mean really?), blowing out Rondo’s elbow, the flagrant on Collison last year, the forearm shiver into Rip Hamilton, the flagrant on KG, kicking Sessions in the groin, even tossing Bibby’s shoe off the courts, now this. Sorry, the benefit of the doubt left a long time ago. Great player, but a dirtbag on the court. The league protects him as a star, but if he wasn’t there’s no way he would have gotten one TOTAL game suspension for all of this. I mean he’s severely injured other players and never had any real consequences for it. He’s like a petulant child.

• logisticalvoices - May 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I think LBJ realized how bad he came off with the Decision and his actions for the months afterward and has taken steps to fix it. He will never win the die-hard haters over, but his PR skills have improved dramatically. D-Wade has embraced a full heel turn. No respect here from me anymore. There are too many incidents that he has been involved in.

• biasedhomer - May 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Don’t forget mocking Dirk when he was sick in the Finals.
        It’s more than just physical altercations.

• hehateme2 - May 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Those players hurt were sissys. They were too weak to be on the court.

3. dudermcrbohan - May 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

who gets away with more cheap shots than Wade?

4. slystone111 - May 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I, for one, am glad to hear this. That way, the LeBron worshippers–including the five or six who write for this site–will have no ready-made excuses when the Heat choke away game three.

5. brutl - May 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Heat hater bandwagon in full force tonight
    With Reggie broadcasting I expect nothing less from the uneducated public.
    It’s hard for you to separate reality and what you see with your eyes from what you are told.

• socalgal64 - May 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Dude, people hate Reggie as much as/more than they hate the Heat. That’s not band-wagoning, that’s fact.

6. dolphindubs - May 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Wade, I love ya, but you know damn well you have a history of that stuff.

7. rushledger - May 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Dwayne wade and Chris Paul make me lose so much respect for basketball with cheap shots and flops.

8. packhawk04 - May 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Of course it wasnt, it never is, right? Your other 65 cheap shots in your career werent either.

9. brutl - May 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I better not hear any idiots complaining bout fouls for the rest of this series.
    Indiana gets the benefit of the whistle every time.
    Rule of verticality my ass, you have to have legal guarding position first before you can “jump straight up.”

• gostlcards5 - May 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM

They get the calls, because they play good defense within the rules, generally speaking. It’s the same reason that NY got so many more fouls, a lot of reaching in, and not driving to the basket as much. Miami has done a better job than the Knicks of driving and getting illegal body contact. They also do a better job of not reaching defensively most of the time.

Learn the rules (they’re not the same as in the NCAA), and watch the differences in the teams before you complain.

10. biggl - May 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I agree brutl.They got every call in New York series also.

11. brutl - May 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM

19 FTs for Miami 36 for Pacers and you’re STILL DOWN BY 20
    Refs know this series won’t be any good w/o them
    And I hate NY but the Pacers got all the calls there, too.
    If theres any agenda in the NBA it’s to prop up the small markets, what do you think the CBA was for? They know the big markets will do fine regardless.

12. monkeyhateclean - May 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Dwyane Wade after avoiding Game 3 suspension: ‘I wasn’t worried because it wasn’t intentional Stern won’t let the Heat miss a Finals while the “big 3″ are there. Because basketball reasons.

13. isthereanyusernamesleft - May 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM

They changed the rule moron you can jump straight up joe on d. Learn your rules

14. edavidberg - May 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Can they t him up for flopping? Or just suspend him? Do the refs not watch tape of the games? I don’t understand how Wade or Battier ever get a call the way the flop around out there.

Its really affecting the quality of the game. I don’t even want to watch any more– NO respect for that.

• gmsingh - May 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM

The only way to fix the flopping is if players get ejected when they do it. Okay, in Battier’s case it would actually help the Heat, but still…

• gostlcards5 - May 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Everyone flops…it’s really ridiculous. It looks to me like Wade actually does not get the call on a lot of his flops these days. Don’t know if they can T him up for it, though. A couple of Battier’s, though, were way beyond the “normal” ridiculous level.

15. joestemme - May 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

“I wasn’t worried because it wasn’t intentional,” Wade said.

Dwayne, I dare you to show EVEN ONE INSTANCE IN YOUR ENTIRE CAREER WHERE YOU GOT BACK IN DEFENSE BY LEAPING INTO THE THE AIR A FOOT OR MORE AND SWINGING YOUR ELBOW WILDLY.

Just one. I’ll send some $$ to the charity of your choice.

Just ONE video replay.

Can u do it?

16. breastfedted - May 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM

He wasn’t suspended because the NBA is fixed. No way Stern would suspend a key player for the beloved Heat. Gotta hand Lebron another championship.

• cantonbound13 - May 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Agreed. Stern will never, ever allow an Indiana vs San Antonio finals

• leahcima1 - May 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Knicks are the biggest market so I guess, Cantonjerk13, this mean the Knicks are so bad they can win a fixed series. They smell almost as bad as you. I had to move to another seat the other day.

17. jbeagles23 - May 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM

The heat don’t need the officials. This is the secon series in a row Indy has aboard the refs. David west is something else. What a pansy loser

18. cantonbound13 - May 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Scum bag on & off the court!

• leahcima1 - May 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM

That’s not a nice way to talk about yourself cantonjerk13.

19. glink123 - May 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM

didn’t watch game 2, or game 3. probably won’t watch another NBA game until November, if ever. lost all respect for the league this year, between Rose sitting out the entire season, and the Kings sale to Seattle being denied for an inferior bid, to the whole Miami charade. after Kobe and Duncan retire, the league will never be the same.

20. gmsingh - May 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Let’s be honest: the only way Wade would deserve any respect is if he had the balls to admit it *was* intentional.

21. jrebar88 - May 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM

STD Wade

22. socalgal64 - May 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Translation: “I wasn’t worried because I play for the Miami effing Heat.”

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches