May 26, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
There’s a good reason that the Clippers coaching search is delivering an almost daily stream of updates. If Chris Paul re-signs in free agency as expected, it’s by far the team closest to championship contention of any that are currently in need of a new head coach.
Former Suns coach Alvin Gentry is the latest candidate believed to be on L.A.’s list, joining the likes of Nate McMillan and Byron Scott as experienced leaders that the Clippers will target once the interview process formally begins.
Before the team gets to meeting with the reasonably available, however, it’s expected that it will explore options that are more of a longshot first.
Prior to fully opening their search, however, the Clippers are said to be “going for big names first,” according to a person with knowledge of their plan. Those include Jeff and Stan Van Gundy, Pacers assistant Brian Shaw and Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins, the person said.
It’s unclear how Brian Shaw made it to the “big names” list, considering he doesn’t have any prior head coaching experience, although he has been on the staff of some elite teams. (And maybe it’s just me, but yelling ‘ball don’t lie’ at a referee doesn’t exactly make you look like a poised leader ready for the responsibilities of the job.)
Shaw and the Pacers have also made it known that he won’t be pursuing any coaching opportunities while Indiana is still playing in the postseason.
Stan Van Gundy has said that he doesn’t plan to return to coaching anywhere next season, and Jeff Van Gundy hasn’t commented on any coaching opportunities since his name surfaced in relation to the Brooklyn Nets job earlier in the year. Hollins will be coveted by many teams, but just because he’s not currently under contract in Memphis for next season doesn’t mean that he’s in a hurry to try his luck somewhere else.
It’s a nice list to assemble, and you can’t blame the Clippers for exhausting all options. But it’s more than likely the team will be looking at experienced guys like Scott, Gentry, and McMillan, all of whom appear to be eager to get back to coaching next season.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32