May 26, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire spent some time training with Hall of Fame big man Hakeem Olajuwon last summer, in hopes of developing more of a post game that would help him coexist alongside Carmelo Anthony in the Knicks starting lineup.
Stoudemire was a nice contributor for New York when healthy, but knee injuries limited him at both the beginning and the end of the year, to the point where he was barely able to play a few minutes off the bench in the postseason.
Stoudemire will once again work out with Olajuwon this summer, in hopes of improving even more defensively and in the post.
Stoudemire will continue to build on the post-up moves and defensive maneuvers he learned from Olajuwon last summer. The big reasons behind the collaboration were: (1) to give the Knicks a low-post presence, allowing Chandler to be the go-to pick-and-roller; and (2) to improve the spacing between Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony, who had tended to crowd the court in the midrange area.
At this point, Stoudemire’s health needs to be the primary concern. He showed he could mesh with this Knicks team, although he did so in a reserve role after not returning to the lineup until the first of the year.
Still, averages of 14.2 points and five rebounds in 23.5 minutes per game were more than solid considering the injury issues, and additional time with Olajuwon working to improve from a skill standpoint certainly couldn’t hurt.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31