May 26, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Amar’e Stoudemire spent some time training with Hall of Fame big man Hakeem Olajuwon last summer, in hopes of developing more of a post game that would help him coexist alongside Carmelo Anthony in the Knicks starting lineup.
Stoudemire was a nice contributor for New York when healthy, but knee injuries limited him at both the beginning and the end of the year, to the point where he was barely able to play a few minutes off the bench in the postseason.
Stoudemire will once again work out with Olajuwon this summer, in hopes of improving even more defensively and in the post.
Stoudemire will continue to build on the post-up moves and defensive maneuvers he learned from Olajuwon last summer. The big reasons behind the collaboration were: (1) to give the Knicks a low-post presence, allowing Chandler to be the go-to pick-and-roller; and (2) to improve the spacing between Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony, who had tended to crowd the court in the midrange area.
At this point, Stoudemire’s health needs to be the primary concern. He showed he could mesh with this Knicks team, although he did so in a reserve role after not returning to the lineup until the first of the year.
Still, averages of 14.2 points and five rebounds in 23.5 minutes per game were more than solid considering the injury issues, and additional time with Olajuwon working to improve from a skill standpoint certainly couldn’t hurt.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 11
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 13