May 25, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The momentum is building in the talks between current Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri and the Raptors, and the two sides are in negotiations to move forward with an agrement to bring the reigning Executive of the Year to Toronto.
After a meeting that took place in Colorado on Friday, things seem to be progressing at a rapid pace.
Ujiri will take the next couple days to fully consider the move, but significant momentum has gathered that likely will lead to Ujiri’s departure from the franchise that he completely remade into a Western Conference contender, sources told Y! Sports.
Denver ownership “seems to be moving on,” one league source familiar with the talks told Y! Sports.
Some organizations value front office personnel more than others, and while it’s clear that the job Ujiri did in Denver was well worth the recognition he received, ownership there obviously doesn’t feel the need to engage in a bidding war for the services of a general manager.
In Toronto, the vibe there is quite the opposite. After several years under Bryan Colangelo where the team has struggled to build a winning identity, the Raptors are ready to pay whatever it takes to obtain competent leadership in the front office.
Ujiri has previous ties to the organization, which, along with the job he’s done in Denver, makes him the most attractive candidate for their job.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)