May 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It appeared as though Wade was simply trying to hustle to get into defensive position, and had no intention of making any malicious contact. But as Stephenson turned and as Wade jumped past him, he did land an elbow to Stephenson’s head in the process.
The play was ignored by the officials, and no foul was called on Wade for his action.
If nothing else, this further goes to show how inconsistent the officiating can be, even within the same game. Sam Young was issued a technical foul for a small, harmless swipe at the ball after the whistle, and yet a shot to the head like this one — however unintentional it may have been — ended up going unpunished.
The play is being reviewed by the league office, reports Jeff Zillgitt of USA Today.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17