May 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It appeared as though Wade was simply trying to hustle to get into defensive position, and had no intention of making any malicious contact. But as Stephenson turned and as Wade jumped past him, he did land an elbow to Stephenson’s head in the process.
The play was ignored by the officials, and no foul was called on Wade for his action.
If nothing else, this further goes to show how inconsistent the officiating can be, even within the same game. Sam Young was issued a technical foul for a small, harmless swipe at the ball after the whistle, and yet a shot to the head like this one — however unintentional it may have been — ended up going unpunished.
The play is being reviewed by the league office, reports Jeff Zillgitt of USA Today.
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 0
- Nets announce signing of Jason Collins for remainder of the season 3
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 21
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 39
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33