May 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It appeared as though Wade was simply trying to hustle to get into defensive position, and had no intention of making any malicious contact. But as Stephenson turned and as Wade jumped past him, he did land an elbow to Stephenson’s head in the process.
The play was ignored by the officials, and no foul was called on Wade for his action.
If nothing else, this further goes to show how inconsistent the officiating can be, even within the same game. Sam Young was issued a technical foul for a small, harmless swipe at the ball after the whistle, and yet a shot to the head like this one — however unintentional it may have been — ended up going unpunished.
The play is being reviewed by the league office, reports Jeff Zillgitt of USA Today.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15