May 24, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Mavericks top off-season goal is to try and sign Dwight Howard. Have fun with that, knowing what we do about Howard it should be a quick and decisive process.
But they need more than just a big man. It was evident this season the Mavs need better point guard play, and somebody who can both score and create from the perimeter.
So they have their eyes on a couple point guards we all have been watching in the playoffs, reports the Star-Telegram.
The source said two point guards who interest the Mavs are Golden State’s Jarrett Jack and Memphis’ Jerryd Bayless. Both players figured prominently in their teams’ runs in the current playoffs, and both will become free agents in July.
Jack was in the Sixth Man of the Year conversation, giving Golden State 12.9 points and 5.6 assists a game off the bench. His game and his shooting efficiency got better during the playoffs (he shot 50.6 percent in the postseason). On a team that was all about scoring guards Jack was a key part of the mix, and Golden State wants him back. But he also would make a good fit in Dallas, a team where he would start and get more touches.
Bayless is a less efficient, but also less expensive, player at the point. He had played better for Dwane Casey a couple seasons ago in Toronto but has mot meshed nearly as well in the Memphis system.
I imagine in either case, Dallas would be offering shorter term deals as they try to keep future cap space available to chase free agents. Unless you think they are actually going to land Howard.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 19
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49