May 24, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Mavericks top off-season goal is to try and sign Dwight Howard. Have fun with that, knowing what we do about Howard it should be a quick and decisive process.
But they need more than just a big man. It was evident this season the Mavs need better point guard play, and somebody who can both score and create from the perimeter.
So they have their eyes on a couple point guards we all have been watching in the playoffs, reports the Star-Telegram.
The source said two point guards who interest the Mavs are Golden State’s Jarrett Jack and Memphis’ Jerryd Bayless. Both players figured prominently in their teams’ runs in the current playoffs, and both will become free agents in July.
Jack was in the Sixth Man of the Year conversation, giving Golden State 12.9 points and 5.6 assists a game off the bench. His game and his shooting efficiency got better during the playoffs (he shot 50.6 percent in the postseason). On a team that was all about scoring guards Jack was a key part of the mix, and Golden State wants him back. But he also would make a good fit in Dallas, a team where he would start and get more touches.
Bayless is a less efficient, but also less expensive, player at the point. He had played better for Dwane Casey a couple seasons ago in Toronto but has mot meshed nearly as well in the Memphis system.
I imagine in either case, Dallas would be offering shorter term deals as they try to keep future cap space available to chase free agents. Unless you think they are actually going to land Howard.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11