May 24, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Mavericks top off-season goal is to try and sign Dwight Howard. Have fun with that, knowing what we do about Howard it should be a quick and decisive process.
But they need more than just a big man. It was evident this season the Mavs need better point guard play, and somebody who can both score and create from the perimeter.
So they have their eyes on a couple point guards we all have been watching in the playoffs, reports the Star-Telegram.
The source said two point guards who interest the Mavs are Golden State’s Jarrett Jack and Memphis’ Jerryd Bayless. Both players figured prominently in their teams’ runs in the current playoffs, and both will become free agents in July.
Jack was in the Sixth Man of the Year conversation, giving Golden State 12.9 points and 5.6 assists a game off the bench. His game and his shooting efficiency got better during the playoffs (he shot 50.6 percent in the postseason). On a team that was all about scoring guards Jack was a key part of the mix, and Golden State wants him back. But he also would make a good fit in Dallas, a team where he would start and get more touches.
Bayless is a less efficient, but also less expensive, player at the point. He had played better for Dwane Casey a couple seasons ago in Toronto but has mot meshed nearly as well in the Memphis system.
I imagine in either case, Dallas would be offering shorter term deals as they try to keep future cap space available to chase free agents. Unless you think they are actually going to land Howard.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 16
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 20
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2