May 24, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Mavericks top off-season goal is to try and sign Dwight Howard. Have fun with that, knowing what we do about Howard it should be a quick and decisive process.
But they need more than just a big man. It was evident this season the Mavs need better point guard play, and somebody who can both score and create from the perimeter.
So they have their eyes on a couple point guards we all have been watching in the playoffs, reports the Star-Telegram.
The source said two point guards who interest the Mavs are Golden State’s Jarrett Jack and Memphis’ Jerryd Bayless. Both players figured prominently in their teams’ runs in the current playoffs, and both will become free agents in July.
Jack was in the Sixth Man of the Year conversation, giving Golden State 12.9 points and 5.6 assists a game off the bench. His game and his shooting efficiency got better during the playoffs (he shot 50.6 percent in the postseason). On a team that was all about scoring guards Jack was a key part of the mix, and Golden State wants him back. But he also would make a good fit in Dallas, a team where he would start and get more touches.
Bayless is a less efficient, but also less expensive, player at the point. He had played better for Dwane Casey a couple seasons ago in Toronto but has mot meshed nearly as well in the Memphis system.
I imagine in either case, Dallas would be offering shorter term deals as they try to keep future cap space available to chase free agents. Unless you think they are actually going to land Howard.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30