May 24, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
Roy Hibbert made life difficult in the paint for the Knicks in the second round — we’ve all seen Hibbert block Carmelo Anthony’s shot at the rim but that is just the tip of the iceberg. He altered and blocked all kinds of shots inside and owned the paint.
The Miami heat scored 60 points in the paint in their Game 1 win.
Frank Vogel was asked about that and took a little dig at the Knicks with his answer, reports the Daily News.
“They had a more intelligent attack at the basket than New York did.”
Vogel was specifically talking about the way Miami was adept at dumping off the ball in the paint, and how that helped Chris Anderson score 16 points on 7-of-7 shooting.
What the Heat can do is twofold. One, even their big men can knock down outside shots — Chris Bosh has a good mid-range jumper (and can hit threes) and most of the time Udonis Haslem can knock down a17-foot baseline jumper, he just couldn’t in Game 1. Hibbert has to step away from the paint to cover that, opening up lanes.
The other part of this is as the report describes — Chris Andersen and other Heat players do a good job cutting to the basket when their man rotates over to help on a driving LeBron James or Dwyane Wade. The result can be dump offs and dunks.
Which is pretty intelligent. But I don’t think Mike Woodson is going to like the implication.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 21
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 35
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 8
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16