May 23, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
The Wizards rightfully believe they would have made the playoffs if they remained healthy this season. Washington went 24-25 with John Wall – a better winning percentage than the eighth-seeded Bucks (38-44). And when Wall, Nene and Bradley Beal all played, the Wizards were 15-7.
Washington should be excited to have a team on the rise and the ability to add three draft picks – No. 3, No. 38 and No. 54 – to a young group. Not all three of those players will necessarily pan out, but the more young prospects, the more likely to find a valuable piece.
“I‘ll agree with him on that. We don’t need three rookies,” Wittman said in a phone interview with CSN Washington on Wednesday afternoon. “We still got a lot of developing to do with those guys. To add three more to that group, I don’t think in terms of what we’re trying to accomplish in the next couple of years is beneficial.”
The Wizards, evidenced by their trade for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza, aren’t worried about maintaining flexibility and upside. They want to make the playoffs next season, and they’re clearly willing to sacrifice a chance at a brighter long-term future to do so.
This makes me even more confident they’ll draft Otto Porter if they keep the third pick. Not only is he from nearby Georgetown (not as big of a plus as teams make that out to be), he’s a one of the more-ready NBA prospects and would fill a need, especially if Martell Webster leaves in free agency.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16