May 23, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
The Wizards rightfully believe they would have made the playoffs if they remained healthy this season. Washington went 24-25 with John Wall – a better winning percentage than the eighth-seeded Bucks (38-44). And when Wall, Nene and Bradley Beal all played, the Wizards were 15-7.
Washington should be excited to have a team on the rise and the ability to add three draft picks – No. 3, No. 38 and No. 54 – to a young group. Not all three of those players will necessarily pan out, but the more young prospects, the more likely to find a valuable piece.
“I‘ll agree with him on that. We don’t need three rookies,” Wittman said in a phone interview with CSN Washington on Wednesday afternoon. “We still got a lot of developing to do with those guys. To add three more to that group, I don’t think in terms of what we’re trying to accomplish in the next couple of years is beneficial.”
The Wizards, evidenced by their trade for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza, aren’t worried about maintaining flexibility and upside. They want to make the playoffs next season, and they’re clearly willing to sacrifice a chance at a brighter long-term future to do so.
This makes me even more confident they’ll draft Otto Porter if they keep the third pick. Not only is he from nearby Georgetown (not as big of a plus as teams make that out to be), he’s a one of the more-ready NBA prospects and would fill a need, especially if Martell Webster leaves in free agency.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 39
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20