May 23, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
The Wizards rightfully believe they would have made the playoffs if they remained healthy this season. Washington went 24-25 with John Wall – a better winning percentage than the eighth-seeded Bucks (38-44). And when Wall, Nene and Bradley Beal all played, the Wizards were 15-7.
Washington should be excited to have a team on the rise and the ability to add three draft picks – No. 3, No. 38 and No. 54 – to a young group. Not all three of those players will necessarily pan out, but the more young prospects, the more likely to find a valuable piece.
“I‘ll agree with him on that. We don’t need three rookies,” Wittman said in a phone interview with CSN Washington on Wednesday afternoon. “We still got a lot of developing to do with those guys. To add three more to that group, I don’t think in terms of what we’re trying to accomplish in the next couple of years is beneficial.”
The Wizards, evidenced by their trade for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza, aren’t worried about maintaining flexibility and upside. They want to make the playoffs next season, and they’re clearly willing to sacrifice a chance at a brighter long-term future to do so.
This makes me even more confident they’ll draft Otto Porter if they keep the third pick. Not only is he from nearby Georgetown (not as big of a plus as teams make that out to be), he’s a one of the more-ready NBA prospects and would fill a need, especially if Martell Webster leaves in free agency.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 0
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 5
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 58
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 64
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8