May 23, 2013, 8:39 PM EST
Most likely, the Cleveland Cavaliers will take Nerlens Noel with the No. 1 overall pick. When you think about their needs, a big man who can run the floor and defend the rim fits that.
Of course, Noel is a project, a couple years away from really contributing much at all to an NBA team. So the Cavs are looking around. They might trade the pick.
Or, they might take someone else. The Washington Post hints at the fact the Wizards are interested in Georgetown sophomore Otto Porter at No. 3, but maybe he doesn’t fall that far.
But there is a possibility that Porter, arguably the most NBA-ready player among the top prospects, might not be around when the Wizards pick third. A source with knowledge of the Cavaliers’ thinking said Porter is under consideration to go No. 1.
A number of players are under consideration for the Cavs, although Noel still seems the best fit.
This is probably a false rumor, but it’s worth keeping and eye on.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16