May 23, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski will return as Team USA’s head basketball coach, but he must replace both his NBA assistants. Not only is Mike D’Antoni moving on, so will Nate McMillan, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
McMillian, via Spears:
“It was a great experience with Coach K,” McMillan said. “Jerry Colangelo did a great job bringing the staff together. They’re in a great position and I’m excited about their future. They have to continue to build on what they started. It would be good for someone to experience it. I’m grateful for my six and a half years.”
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will return as an assistant, and it’s a good bet Krzyzewski fills at least one of the remaining spots with an NBA guy.
McMillan will likely become an NBA head coach soon. He’s interviewed with the Pistons, Bucks and Hawks and told Spears he’s waiting for the right fit.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20