May 23, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski will return as Team USA’s head basketball coach, but he must replace both his NBA assistants. Not only is Mike D’Antoni moving on, so will Nate McMillan, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
McMillian, via Spears:
“It was a great experience with Coach K,” McMillan said. “Jerry Colangelo did a great job bringing the staff together. They’re in a great position and I’m excited about their future. They have to continue to build on what they started. It would be good for someone to experience it. I’m grateful for my six and a half years.”
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will return as an assistant, and it’s a good bet Krzyzewski fills at least one of the remaining spots with an NBA guy.
McMillan will likely become an NBA head coach soon. He’s interviewed with the Pistons, Bucks and Hawks and told Spears he’s waiting for the right fit.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 0
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 30
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16