May 23, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Mike Krzyzewski will return as Team USA’s head basketball coach, but he must replace both his NBA assistants. Not only is Mike D’Antoni moving on, so will Nate McMillan, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
McMillian, via Spears:
“It was a great experience with Coach K,” McMillan said. “Jerry Colangelo did a great job bringing the staff together. They’re in a great position and I’m excited about their future. They have to continue to build on what they started. It would be good for someone to experience it. I’m grateful for my six and a half years.”
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will return as an assistant, and it’s a good bet Krzyzewski fills at least one of the remaining spots with an NBA guy.
McMillan will likely become an NBA head coach soon. He’s interviewed with the Pistons, Bucks and Hawks and told Spears he’s waiting for the right fit.
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 0
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 7
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 8
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 41
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6