May 23, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski will return as Team USA’s head basketball coach, but he must replace both his NBA assistants. Not only is Mike D’Antoni moving on, so will Nate McMillan, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
McMillian, via Spears:
“It was a great experience with Coach K,” McMillan said. “Jerry Colangelo did a great job bringing the staff together. They’re in a great position and I’m excited about their future. They have to continue to build on what they started. It would be good for someone to experience it. I’m grateful for my six and a half years.”
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will return as an assistant, and it’s a good bet Krzyzewski fills at least one of the remaining spots with an NBA guy.
McMillan will likely become an NBA head coach soon. He’s interviewed with the Pistons, Bucks and Hawks and told Spears he’s waiting for the right fit.
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 0
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 40
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 5
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10