May 23, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski will return as Team USA’s head basketball coach, but he must replace both his NBA assistants. Not only is Mike D’Antoni moving on, so will Nate McMillan, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
McMillian, via Spears:
“It was a great experience with Coach K,” McMillan said. “Jerry Colangelo did a great job bringing the staff together. They’re in a great position and I’m excited about their future. They have to continue to build on what they started. It would be good for someone to experience it. I’m grateful for my six and a half years.”
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will return as an assistant, and it’s a good bet Krzyzewski fills at least one of the remaining spots with an NBA guy.
McMillan will likely become an NBA head coach soon. He’s interviewed with the Pistons, Bucks and Hawks and told Spears he’s waiting for the right fit.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18