May 23, 2013, 8:43 AM EDT
LeBron James’ detractors are still plentiful and are still vocal — just follow the conversation on twitter during any Heat game. People will tell you how much they loathe LeBron and everything he stands for.
But they are buying his shoes.
Forbes Magazine broke down the numbers on domestic signature shoe sales (from sportsonesource.com) and found the two-time MVP is blowing by the field like he blew by Paul George for a game-winning layup.
LeBron is a Nike guy and, as it has for years, Nike dominates the shoe sale market. Here are the top five signature shoe sales, according to Forbes:
Looks like LeBron is on top… until you compare him to Michael Jordan.
Jordan accounted for $2 billion in sales. Yes, billion with a “B.” That a decade after Jordan retired (and 15 years after what we like to think of as his retirement… we ignore the Wizards years). The Jordan brand accounts for three out of every four basketball shoes sold. Still.
Once again, LeBron is chasing Jordan’s legacy. But in this case, it’s Nike that wins.
(Thanks to Lang at NBA.com’s All Ball blog for finding this story.)
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 0
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 12
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 12
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23