May 22, 2013, 2:57 AM EDT
That was more like what we expected out of this series — close, intense, physical. Well, it was close for the final 17 minutes (just ignore the first 36), but in the end the Spurs got the win and are up 2-0 in the series.
Here are three takeaways from this game.
• Yes, Tony Parker is that good. After Game 1 the Grizzlies wanted to slow down the Spurs pick-and-roll, they wanted to cut Tony Parker off at the point of attack. Well, they tried. But not much is going to was going to shut down Parker on a night he was playing like the mid-season guy everyone thought should be in the MVP conversation.
For a second game in a row he sliced and diced the Grizzlies defense, this time to the tune of 14 points and 18 assists — he seemed to sense guys open and hit them, whether they were cutting to the rim or hanging out at the arc. Memphis wanted to slow down the pace (so they can set their defense) and Tony Parker was at the heart of destroying that strategy.
Parker is going up against one of the best defensive point guards in the game in Mike Conley and besting him. In Game 2 Parker got Conley in foul trouble and what little the Grizzlies were able to muster went away.
It all went away in the fourth quarter, when Parker was 2-of-8 shooting with no assists — he looked exhausted. Everyone did, but it showed in his game. That also showed how key he is to the Spurs offense against a good Grizzlies defense. The Spurs need that Parker every game.
• Zach Randolph, welcome to the conference finals. The first half of this game looked like all of Game 1 for Zach Randolph — the Spurs fronted him in the post, didn’t let him easily establish position and brought help from the corners quickly (sometimes before the pass). It got in his head — he was rushing shots when he did get the ball and as a result was missing shots he normally hits. The result was a 1-for-10 shooting first 24 minutes. And that’s not mentioning how the Spurs continued to expose Z-Bo’s pick-and-roll defense (there’s a reason Parker has room at the point of attack).
But in the second half Randolph was 5-of-7 shooting for 13 points and he was key to the Memphis comeback. With guys making shots and cutting out of the corners, Randolph found himself in more on-on-one situations on the block, and he can exploit that. He was grabbing offensive rebounds. He had a much better energy.
It wasn’t enough, but it’s something to build on — the Grizzlies will need two games of the full Z-Bo at home to even this series.
• For Memphis this was something to build on. There are no moral playoff victories. But after seven ugly quarters of basketball from Memphis they fought back, tied the game up, made some plays down the stretch and could have stolen one.
In the fourth quarter they slowed the game down and took away the transition buckets of San Antonio. The Spurs missed shots but they also didn’t get as many good looks against a set defense. The Grizzlies got some shots from Randolph and others (Quincy Pondexter was 2-of-3).
Memphis also played better defense as San Antonio shot 4-of19 — the Grizzlies seemed to finally anticipate the ball rotation and they closed out on shooters much better. The Grizzlies shouldn’t have needed a 15-2 run, but they got one and tied it up on the road.
At home role players like Jerryd Bayless shoot better, the Grizzlies won’t miss seven shots in a row inside five feet, they will play better.
We’ll see if they can build on that good fourth quarter, Memphis needs to win both of the two games at home to have a real shot in this series. But they came back from down 0-2 against the Clippers (and the Spurs were up 2-0 in this spot last year against the Thunder and lost four straight.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Celtics waived Lucas during offseason that saw him traded twice
Oct 21, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Celtics point guard, coach Brad Stevens leave open possibility of Rondo not missing any games after breaking hand
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
He had 30 points on 18 shots.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Clippers point guard on his own level in post-Magic Johnson NBA
Oct 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Carter still has some bounce.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Rondo praises head coach Brad Stevens’ success on the college level.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He still has an antitrust suit pending against the NBA.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
It’s only preseason, but the 2011 league MVP looks like his old self.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The proposed changes would give the four worst teams the same odds of winning the No. 1 pick in the draft.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He’s moving well considered what happened to his leg just back in July.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
So does ‘Nique and Chris Webber.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Well, there are worse things on television.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Steve Koonin promoting Hawks’ season opener, which includes T.I. performances
Oct 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
The real question is who will be the better team by late May.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
When Stephenson brought his game to Charlotte this season, he clearly brought the flopping with him.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
How will Indiana score?
Oct 20, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Anonymous executives, agents slam Kobe in ESPN article
Oct 20, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Detroit also cuts Brian Cook, Josh Bostic and Lorenzo Brown
Oct 20, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
I’m unconvinced one had much to do with the other
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Door even more open for Ronnie Price and Wayne Ellington to make roster
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 68
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31