May 22, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
We mentioned this in our story telling you Mike Krzyzewski will be back as head coach of Team USA for the 2016 Olympics — there might be some changes to his staff.
One bit of news is in — Mike D’Antoni is out as an assistant coach, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
According to the source, D’Antoni, who now coaches the Lakers, turned down the job as he didn’t want to make another four-year commitment because of his family….
“He wants to stay married,” the source said.
D’Antoni has enough on his hands as coach of the Lakers.
D’Antoni was a coach with Team USA since 2006, and was with Krzyzewski through the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and the 2012 ones in London — both gold medals for Team USA.
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim (and his zone defense) will be back. No word yet on whether or not Nate McMillan will stay on the staff, nor who will replace him.
Krzyzewski will be announced as the coach at a press conference scheduled by Team USA on the Duke campus Thursday.
Now, enjoy the comments on this post where Lakers fans take it in a completely different direction.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 12
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36