May 22, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
We mentioned this in our story telling you Mike Krzyzewski will be back as head coach of Team USA for the 2016 Olympics — there might be some changes to his staff.
One bit of news is in — Mike D’Antoni is out as an assistant coach, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
According to the source, D’Antoni, who now coaches the Lakers, turned down the job as he didn’t want to make another four-year commitment because of his family….
“He wants to stay married,” the source said.
D’Antoni has enough on his hands as coach of the Lakers.
D’Antoni was a coach with Team USA since 2006, and was with Krzyzewski through the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and the 2012 ones in London — both gold medals for Team USA.
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim (and his zone defense) will be back. No word yet on whether or not Nate McMillan will stay on the staff, nor who will replace him.
Krzyzewski will be announced as the coach at a press conference scheduled by Team USA on the Duke campus Thursday.
Now, enjoy the comments on this post where Lakers fans take it in a completely different direction.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 20
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9