May 22, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
We mentioned this in our story telling you Mike Krzyzewski will be back as head coach of Team USA for the 2016 Olympics — there might be some changes to his staff.
One bit of news is in — Mike D’Antoni is out as an assistant coach, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
According to the source, D’Antoni, who now coaches the Lakers, turned down the job as he didn’t want to make another four-year commitment because of his family….
“He wants to stay married,” the source said.
D’Antoni has enough on his hands as coach of the Lakers.
D’Antoni was a coach with Team USA since 2006, and was with Krzyzewski through the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and the 2012 ones in London — both gold medals for Team USA.
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim (and his zone defense) will be back. No word yet on whether or not Nate McMillan will stay on the staff, nor who will replace him.
Krzyzewski will be announced as the coach at a press conference scheduled by Team USA on the Duke campus Thursday.
Now, enjoy the comments on this post where Lakers fans take it in a completely different direction.
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 1
- Reports: Stephen Curry to be named MVP Monday 27
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 6
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 4
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 2
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 20
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22