May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Mike Krzyzewski coming back to coach Team USA for the 2016 Rio Olympics is certainly a good step toward another gold medal for the Americans. Coach K has been 62-1 at the helm of USA Basketball.
But it’s not the biggest key.
The 2016 team was LeBron’s team, so is he happy Coach K is back? Yes. LeBron couldn’t have been clearer in comments to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
“I think it’s great,” James said before Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Wednesday night. “What he means to USA Basketball is beyond just what we do on the court. It’s what we stand for as Americans and being proud to wear the red, white and blue every time we step off the bus or go to practice or talk to the media or whatever the case may be.”
So, you going to play in 2016, LeBron?
“First, I’ve got to make sure I stay healthy,” James said. “If I’m fortunate enough to be healthy, I would love to represent my country again. But that’s a long time from now, so we’ll see.”
If that becomes a yes for him and a few of his buddies, that gold becomes much more likely.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 21
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 37
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 56
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28