May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Mike Krzyzewski coming back to coach Team USA for the 2016 Rio Olympics is certainly a good step toward another gold medal for the Americans. Coach K has been 62-1 at the helm of USA Basketball.
But it’s not the biggest key.
The 2016 team was LeBron’s team, so is he happy Coach K is back? Yes. LeBron couldn’t have been clearer in comments to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
“I think it’s great,” James said before Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Wednesday night. “What he means to USA Basketball is beyond just what we do on the court. It’s what we stand for as Americans and being proud to wear the red, white and blue every time we step off the bus or go to practice or talk to the media or whatever the case may be.”
So, you going to play in 2016, LeBron?
“First, I’ve got to make sure I stay healthy,” James said. “If I’m fortunate enough to be healthy, I would love to represent my country again. But that’s a long time from now, so we’ll see.”
If that becomes a yes for him and a few of his buddies, that gold becomes much more likely.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0