May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Mike Krzyzewski coming back to coach Team USA for the 2016 Rio Olympics is certainly a good step toward another gold medal for the Americans. Coach K has been 62-1 at the helm of USA Basketball.
But it’s not the biggest key.
The 2016 team was LeBron’s team, so is he happy Coach K is back? Yes. LeBron couldn’t have been clearer in comments to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
“I think it’s great,” James said before Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Wednesday night. “What he means to USA Basketball is beyond just what we do on the court. It’s what we stand for as Americans and being proud to wear the red, white and blue every time we step off the bus or go to practice or talk to the media or whatever the case may be.”
So, you going to play in 2016, LeBron?
“First, I’ve got to make sure I stay healthy,” James said. “If I’m fortunate enough to be healthy, I would love to represent my country again. But that’s a long time from now, so we’ll see.”
If that becomes a yes for him and a few of his buddies, that gold becomes much more likely.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)