May 21, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
You can cross Stan Van Gundy off your coaching lists.
The former Magic and Heat coach was on The David Baumann Show on 1080 The Team in Orlando and said he would not be coaching anywhere next season. He called it a family decision.
He added that a few teams reached out to him but he had not formally interviewed with any of them.
Van Gundy sounds like a guy looking for the right job — a place he can win, warm weather, willing to pay very well. Right now the jobs that are open are largely rebuilding projects or ones like the Nets where improvement would be hard to come by as the roster is rather stuck in the mud.
You have to wonder if he sees a job on the horizon that he thinks will open up and would be a better fit, so he’s just biding his time. A year at home, and working for NBC Radio, is a nice way to go until then.
Of course, if a surprise opening popped up somewhere… we will see. For now, look for him to take a year off.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 10
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 6
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 52
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 29
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 21