May 21, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
You can cross Stan Van Gundy off your coaching lists.
The former Magic and Heat coach was on The David Baumann Show on 1080 The Team in Orlando and said he would not be coaching anywhere next season. He called it a family decision.
He added that a few teams reached out to him but he had not formally interviewed with any of them.
Van Gundy sounds like a guy looking for the right job — a place he can win, warm weather, willing to pay very well. Right now the jobs that are open are largely rebuilding projects or ones like the Nets where improvement would be hard to come by as the roster is rather stuck in the mud.
You have to wonder if he sees a job on the horizon that he thinks will open up and would be a better fit, so he’s just biding his time. A year at home, and working for NBC Radio, is a nice way to go until then.
Of course, if a surprise opening popped up somewhere… we will see. For now, look for him to take a year off.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 0
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 18
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28