May 21, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
You can cross Stan Van Gundy off your coaching lists.
The former Magic and Heat coach was on The David Baumann Show on 1080 The Team in Orlando and said he would not be coaching anywhere next season. He called it a family decision.
He added that a few teams reached out to him but he had not formally interviewed with any of them.
Van Gundy sounds like a guy looking for the right job — a place he can win, warm weather, willing to pay very well. Right now the jobs that are open are largely rebuilding projects or ones like the Nets where improvement would be hard to come by as the roster is rather stuck in the mud.
You have to wonder if he sees a job on the horizon that he thinks will open up and would be a better fit, so he’s just biding his time. A year at home, and working for NBC Radio, is a nice way to go until then.
Of course, if a surprise opening popped up somewhere… we will see. For now, look for him to take a year off.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 27
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17