May 21, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
You can cross Stan Van Gundy off your coaching lists.
The former Magic and Heat coach was on The David Baumann Show on 1080 The Team in Orlando and said he would not be coaching anywhere next season. He called it a family decision.
He added that a few teams reached out to him but he had not formally interviewed with any of them.
Van Gundy sounds like a guy looking for the right job — a place he can win, warm weather, willing to pay very well. Right now the jobs that are open are largely rebuilding projects or ones like the Nets where improvement would be hard to come by as the roster is rather stuck in the mud.
You have to wonder if he sees a job on the horizon that he thinks will open up and would be a better fit, so he’s just biding his time. A year at home, and working for NBC Radio, is a nice way to go until then.
Of course, if a surprise opening popped up somewhere… we will see. For now, look for him to take a year off.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 7
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8