May 21, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
David West has been a rock-solid veteran big man for the Pacers this season and has talked repeatedly about how much he loved playing there this year. But the NBA is a business and West is an unrestricted free agent this summer. Teams are going to try to lure him away.
Like Chris Paul and the Clippers. Seriously. Apparently they need another power forward because… I don’t know why, the one they have jumps over cars and everything. But the Clips are going to try and get him, reports Marc Stein at ESPN, writing on TrueHoop.
The Pacers’ veteran leader openly loves his situation in Indiana, which certainly gives Indy justified cause for optimism when it comes to re-signing the 32-year-old this summer. Yet the whispers are already swirling that Chris Paul’s Los Angeles Clippers, in particular, are going to make a hard run at West in the offseason.
Indy will certainly have the ability to pay West more to convince its locker-room sage to stay, given that the Clips would presumably have to structure an offer with the $5.15 million midlevel exception available to non-tax teams. But you have to figure that the former Hornet — who rose to All-Star prominence playing alongside CP3 — is going to want to hear the details of a proposal pitching a reunion with his old point guard … as long as Paul himself, of course, has decided to stay.
It’s been an open secret that what Chris Paul wants the Clippers front office tries to get, and CP3 had some of his best on-court success playing off West’s pick-and-pop. So he wants him.
But the four spot with Griffin (whose outside shooting is improving) is not the Clippers weak link along the front line. They need more reliable play at the five spot — Jordan is inconsistent on both ends, but his defense is the real problem. Once Paul re-signs with the Clippers for the max (and he will) the Clips will need to use the MLE to find a piece or two to round out the roster and defensive-minded depth up front has to be at the top of the list.
West is going to get more than that MLE money. Almost certainly that money will keep him part of a very good Pacers team.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32