Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers

May 21, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Dwight Howard hugs Kobe Bryant after they defeated the Chicago Bulls during their NBA game in Los Angeles Reuters

Kobe Bryant thinks this Lakers roster can work.

Well, he at least thinks his chance at a much-coveted sixth ring is more likely if the Lakers bring back two of the top big men in the game, as opposed to having just one and restructuring the lineup to be closer to what Mike D’Antoni prefers.

So Kobe took to twitter to say what he thinks the Lakers should do as they consider the future of Dwight Howard (a free agent, the Lakers will offer him a five-year max deal) and Pau Gasol.

Howard is an unrestricted free agent this summer and has already said he is frustrated with D’Antoni and is going to take the time to talk to other teams, including the Rockets and Mavericks. Basically, Howard wants a lot more drama around him because he didn’t get enough with the Orlando exit. Apparently.

Gasol is under contract for one more year with the Lakers at $19 million and there have been reports of him being shopped around (again) or amnestied (not likely), although the Lakers will do nothing with Gasol until Howard makes a decision. And we all know how long that can take.

We will see what Howard does, but the buzz around the league is that returning to the Lakers remains the most likely outcome (once he has other teams flatter him and kiss the ring). The Gasol question really comes down to how much tax are the Lakers willing to pay — if the Lakers have a $100 million payroll next season like they did this season their tax under the new escalating system would be another $85 million. While the Lakers are well off with their new cable deal, they are in this to make a profit.

Kobe is right about one thing — it is going to be an interesting off-season in Los Angeles.

1. deavn - May 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Kobe, Dwight has already made it clear that he doesn’t wanna play in LA. He wants to be in a small market where he doesn’t have a lot of attention on him and where he can be effective at the center spot. He can’t do that in LA.

• deavn - May 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Oh yeah, and he wants a max deal so yeah, good luck with that.

• asimonetti88 - May 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I’m not going to speculate on whether or not Dwight will stay here, but you do realize the Lakers can not only offer a max deal, but a max deal worth more than any other team, right?

• casualcommenter - May 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I’m nowhere close to a Lakers fan, but even I know that of all the teams in the NBA, the Lakers are the team that can offer Dwight the most money.

Before offering your opinion in the future, I suggest you try keeping up with basic NBA news and reading about stuff like “Bird Rights.”

• jrose606 - May 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM

You disappoint me deavn. I read your first post as sarcasm and thought you were hilarious. Howard never makes anything clear. Did you miss his whole saga in Orlando? Are you new to the NBA?

• danfrommv - May 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM

He can get $88M from Houston over 4 years, with no state taxes. That is about the same (after tax) income as he could get from the Lakers over the first 4 years of his 5-year max contract. After the 4-year contract, he could sign another HUGE contract. The money isn’t THAT much different when you consider CA’s 13% top tax rate (which he would certainly pay). And with Houston, you have a team with some young talent that could conceivably win in a few years. What do you have with the Lakers? A disabled Kobe, a weak Pau Gasol, and old Steve Nash, and old Ron (I refuse to call him Metta) Artest, and a terrible bench

• sportsfan18 - May 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

With all due respect, he was in a small market in while in Orlando… Just being in a small market obviously isn’t enough for him… I obviously don’t know him, but from all appearances, he wants to be coddled, to be the center of attention, to be liked, adored etc… If he receives that from a team, GM, head coach and coaching staff then he will be happy there whether it’s in L.A., Orlando or wherever… Now, I’m not saying he won’t remain in L.A. as none of know what will be done behind the scene. Kobe wants Dwight back. Why? Kobe knows he’s at the end of his career and that having Dwight on his team will help him maximize whatever chances he has at another ring. Dwight’s numbers weren’t terrible coming the season after his back surgery… I think he’ll play better next year wherever that is…The team may be telling Dwight that Kobe is under contract one more year and he likes and wants D’antoni. After next year Dwight, we’ll can him and bring in a babysitter you like better, err a coach you like better…

• badintent - May 22, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Kobe wants Vanessa……. BACK. Saves him $200+ million and change.Period.
      Howard and Gasol are an afterthought

• danfrommv - May 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Kobe may channel his inner OJ if Vanessa threatens to divorce him again.

2. readysethike - May 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

How about a pay cut so they can sign effective role players for what their worth and not these mini level exceptions

• casualcommenter - May 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The current CBA prevents players signed to fully guaranteed contracts from taking paycuts. Even if Kobe wanted to lower his 2013-2014 salary, he’s not allowed to because the deal he signed a few years ago was fully guaranteed.

3. caeser12 - May 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It’s going to take more more than your 2 cents to fix this. That’s just being honest, if honesty is allowed.

• sportsfan18 - May 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Honesty should be mandatory, not just allowed…

4. pacific123ocean - May 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

If Kobe really wants these guys, rather than tweet about it, he would agree to take a huge pay cut.

• zacksdad - May 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM

He cannot take a pay cut next year. He can be willing like Nowitzki and take less money on his new contract.

But if he wants these two back, implies he also wants the coach gone also. Why would they keep a coach that does not get along with Howard and Gasol. Neither one has liked him. The coach already most likely ran Jamison away.

Great job Jimmie, your Dad must be looking down and be so proud of you.

• namriverrat69 - May 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

If Kobe really wanted Howard and Gasol back he would pick up a telephone and call them instead of broadcasting his thoughts to the public tweeting. This is personal between each of them and if he took them both out to talk of what he thinks is a great future together, well, that would show leadership and caring about his team mates which has so lacked at times in his career. While he is at it he should include Nash. They need to discuss their on court teamwork whether D’Antoni is coach or not. D’Antoni, who needs to communicate better, should have a group talk with all these guys so they can all get on the same page next year should they not lose anyone to free agency.

• manchestermiracle - May 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I’d like to hear how you know he hasn’t done exactly that already.

• namriverrat69 - May 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I am not a sports know it all who looks to find fault in others posts. I just write what I think based on what I believe and what limited information I know. I am not always right and I have to say, it is usually someone with a huge ego who holds everyone else accountable for every little thing they say. I can only go by what I read. I’ve never heard or read of Kobe speaking directly as I stated so to answer your question “I don’t know”. When people use the tweet to communicate so much these days it makes one wonder if that is the limit of their communication skills. It seems if Kobe had spoken with them and they were communicating on issues Kobe would not have felt a need to post on twitter and broadcast to the public he hopes Howard and Gasol stay in LA. That in itself sounds to me like he has no clue one way or the other. Just hope. It seemed kind of common sense to me that he hadn’t. However, I do like a captain who has hope for their team. He may even have hope and change for the Lakers.

Thank you Mr. Manchestermiracle for being so astute. In response I could reverse your arrogant attitude and ask, how do you know he did do that already?

No need to respond. I’m not going to explain myself further to you or anyone else. Sports are just entertainment.

I’ve followed you blogs on the Kings and thought you were pretty cool but when you went into attack mode on my silly post it certainly raised questions.

5. therealhtj - May 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Why people reading a site about pro basketball still maintain the notion that NBA contracts are renegotiable is baffling.

• unxpexted1 - May 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM

right i laugh when people say that all the time. This isnt the NFL. NBA, contracts are paid for what they are. They typically cannot be restructured. It just “sounds” good to tell people to take a paycut.

6. unxpexted1 - May 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I dont like howard as a Laker fan, but i still maintain the position of offering him the same deal other teams can offer him (which is around 4 years 90 mill I believe) and make him choose. Either you want to be a Laker or not…..if not, it’ll be a loss this year for the Lakers and we’ll start over in 2014 with a free agent and a quality draft coming up next year.

• danfrommv - May 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

He really doesn’t want to be a Laker. Big expectations, Big spotlight. He wants a small market where everyone loves him and he is considered a superstar even though his offense sucks. But with a mega million deal, of course. He must be the highest paid on the team. And he wants a loaded team where he doesn’t have the pressure, just the fawning fans and media. You know, kind of how he had it in Orlando. And can he get a movie deal? And merchandise contract? And another baby mama?

7. loungefly74 - May 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Kobe saying the “right things” in the media. (Howard…take note, son)

• namriverrat69 - May 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

It would be nice if he said the right things directly to his team mates and forgot about the media.

• loungefly74 - May 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM

we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. because a couple “cry babies” whine at times doesn’t mean he isn’t conveying the right message. the guy wants to win. i think some people are just soft in the skin…

8. 00maltliquor - May 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Kurt was pretty funny in this article. I like.

“kiss the ring”! Bwahaahaa haaa!

9. klownboy - May 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Good luck with that Lakers fans. At least it will make for good theater this offseason.

10. peterm5 - May 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Yeah, I’m with Kobe, only if the Lakers 1) bring back Phil and 2) Kobe agrees
    to a contract extension of five years at less than $50 mil or $10 mil a year.
    Kobe needs to walk the talk and stop sucking up CAP space.
    Otherwise he should stop the stupid twittering as he sounds like a “twit”.
    The way I see it, Howard who is the dumbest guy in the league was just out-dumbed by Kobe.
    Dwight at least has the intelligence to 1) realize that the Lakers won’t win with D’Antoni
    and Nash and 2) even with PJ, it’s a stretch to think the Lakers can win w/o an injured and aging Bryant next season.
    I’d go to Houston today, if I were Dwight and I love the Lakers.

11. 1972sxwife - May 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

D’Antoni may be the odd man out.

12. cantonbound13 - May 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Chandler & Smith for Howard?

• jedifriedchicken - May 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Said the Knicks fan…

• asimonetti88 - May 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Under the CBA, Howard can not be part of a sign and trade. This has been covered on this blog several times in the past few days.

• danfrommv - May 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM

He can sign and then be traded after (something like) 60 days.

• danfrommv - May 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Why not Iman Shumpert and a ballboy if you are going to propose ridiculous trades?

13. rayduqueiii - May 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I hope that Dwight Howard will sign to my team the L.A. Lakers. I also hope that all the players last season will be back to play with us next season and be healthy all season. If they do, I think my team the Lakers will win the 2013-2014 NBA Championship. Let’s see what will happen this summer.

Ray
    Ray Duque III (GMBD), USA

14. omniusprime - May 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I hope that Kobe puts a lot of pressure on Kupcake and that Jerky Boy Jimmy to retain both great big men. If they have to jettison Dumbtoni to keep Howard from being frustrated then why haven’ they cut this pathetic piece of coaching garbage loose already?

I hope Kobe wants Trash Nash and Steve Flake gone so that he can play with a great young point guard like Stephen Curry or Kyrie Irving. The point guard position has been the Achilles Heel of the Lakers for the past three years, time to get younger and more athletic at this important position.

FIRE DUMBTONI !!!

15. ndrick731 - May 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

No surprise there. We all know who is actually running that organization.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches