May 21, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Knicks GM Glen Grunwald wanted to sign Pablo Prigioni to a two-year deal, but the 35-year-old point guard and NBA rookie was only taking a one-year offer.
That was practical — he signed for the veteran’s minimum and if he showed he belonged he could get a better deal.
But it also may mean he decides not to stay in the NBA for family reasons, reports the New York Post.
Point guard Pablo Prigioni faces a tough decision on whether to stay in the NBA or return to the Spanish League next season, because his wife, Raquel, wants to return overseas, according to a source….
Prigioni, 35, brought his wife, 4-year-old son, Nicolas, and 7-year-old daughter, Alessandra, over to New York for the season and he purposely signed just a one-year deal to see if he and his family liked the U.S. Prigioni told The Post’s Steve Serby in a Q and A earlier in the playoffs it’s been a tough adjustment for his wife because she doesn’t speak English and had never left Spain before.
You can’t fault a guy for wanting to put family first.
But the Knicks are pretty capped out, so there are not a lot of options for filling this roster spout with quality if he goes.
While on the season Prigioni averaged just 3.5 points per game, by the end of it he had become a key cog for the Knicks small ball lineups. Put simply, when he was out there the ball moved a whole lot better, he made smart decision and helped find the right guy. He would be missed.
Still, I have a feeling that if the money is right he will be back for another year. It’s amazing how seven digits of cash can change minds.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 3
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 17
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17