May 21, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Bryan Colangelo is still going to collect a paycheck from the Raptors.
But he’s not going to have sway over the basketball side of the operations — and that’s what matters most to Raptors fans.
Tim Leiweke, the new CEO of Raptors owner Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, confirmed previous reports Tuesday on a conference call — Colangelo will stay on as Raptors team president, however a new GM will be hired who will report directly to Leiweke.
Colangelo struggled with the Chris Bosh situation, and of late he struggled with having a real plan for the team — the Raptors have become a collection of players but with no real vision from the top as to what kind of team they wanted to build.
Leiweke said the search is on for a new GM. There are reports they are about to make a very large offer ($2 million a year) to Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri to take over the organization. His contract is up in Denver and while the Nuggets want to keep him they are going to have to up what they pay him considerably (reportedly the Toronto offer is four times what he made last year).
Whoever is the new GM, Leiweke said that person will make the decision on the future of coach Dwane Casey.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 14
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4