May 21, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Bryan Colangelo is still going to collect a paycheck from the Raptors.
But he’s not going to have sway over the basketball side of the operations — and that’s what matters most to Raptors fans.
Tim Leiweke, the new CEO of Raptors owner Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, confirmed previous reports Tuesday on a conference call — Colangelo will stay on as Raptors team president, however a new GM will be hired who will report directly to Leiweke.
Colangelo struggled with the Chris Bosh situation, and of late he struggled with having a real plan for the team — the Raptors have become a collection of players but with no real vision from the top as to what kind of team they wanted to build.
Leiweke said the search is on for a new GM. There are reports they are about to make a very large offer ($2 million a year) to Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri to take over the organization. His contract is up in Denver and while the Nuggets want to keep him they are going to have to up what they pay him considerably (reportedly the Toronto offer is four times what he made last year).
Whoever is the new GM, Leiweke said that person will make the decision on the future of coach Dwane Casey.
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 0
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2