May 21, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Bryan Colangelo is still going to collect a paycheck from the Raptors.
But he’s not going to have sway over the basketball side of the operations — and that’s what matters most to Raptors fans.
Tim Leiweke, the new CEO of Raptors owner Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, confirmed previous reports Tuesday on a conference call — Colangelo will stay on as Raptors team president, however a new GM will be hired who will report directly to Leiweke.
Colangelo struggled with the Chris Bosh situation, and of late he struggled with having a real plan for the team — the Raptors have become a collection of players but with no real vision from the top as to what kind of team they wanted to build.
Leiweke said the search is on for a new GM. There are reports they are about to make a very large offer ($2 million a year) to Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri to take over the organization. His contract is up in Denver and while the Nuggets want to keep him they are going to have to up what they pay him considerably (reportedly the Toronto offer is four times what he made last year).
Whoever is the new GM, Leiweke said that person will make the decision on the future of coach Dwane Casey.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8