May 21, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Bryan Colangelo is still going to collect a paycheck from the Raptors.
But he’s not going to have sway over the basketball side of the operations — and that’s what matters most to Raptors fans.
Tim Leiweke, the new CEO of Raptors owner Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, confirmed previous reports Tuesday on a conference call — Colangelo will stay on as Raptors team president, however a new GM will be hired who will report directly to Leiweke.
Colangelo struggled with the Chris Bosh situation, and of late he struggled with having a real plan for the team — the Raptors have become a collection of players but with no real vision from the top as to what kind of team they wanted to build.
Leiweke said the search is on for a new GM. There are reports they are about to make a very large offer ($2 million a year) to Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri to take over the organization. His contract is up in Denver and while the Nuggets want to keep him they are going to have to up what they pay him considerably (reportedly the Toronto offer is four times what he made last year).
Whoever is the new GM, Leiweke said that person will make the decision on the future of coach Dwane Casey.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 43
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4