May 21, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
We don’t need more people like Kevin Durant in basketball, we need more people like Kevin Durant on the planet.
Kevin Durant has donated $1 million to Red Cross disaster relief efforts in the wake of a devastating tornado that ripped through the suburbs of Oklahoma City, leaving 24 dead and devastating the community.
The Thunder organization has matched that $1 million gift. In addition, the NBA itself has teamed with the players union to donate another million.
“The Red Cross relies on its donors to perform its mission in relieving human suffering following disasters,” Janienne Bella, CEO of the local Red Cross region said in a statement. “Mr. Durant’s gift and support to Oklahoma comes at a time of great need and we’re forever thankful for his generosity.”
Durant did this immediately, and he did without even announcing it on twitter (the Red Cross and Thunder made it public). Durant had tweeted out a call for support before.
Praying for the victims of the Tornadoes in OKC these last few days..Everybody stay safe!—
Kevin Durant (@KDTrey5) May 20, 2013
There are a lot of professional athletes who have charitable organizations in their name just for the tax write-offs. A lot of guys go see children in the hospital or do other works because it is contractually required.
And some guys just care about people. Kevin Durant cares. At age 24 his is mature, with a good perspective on the game and on life. He gets it.
This is really caring about the community you play in looks like.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 22
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 71
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 53
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4