May 20, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Bryan Colangelo is still going to be with the Toronto Raptors.
But he is going to be on the other side of the building (at least metaphorically).
By today the Raptors had to come to a decision on picking up Colangelo’s option as the franchise’s general manager and decision maker. And he is out in that role but not out of Raptors, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
We’ve already told you that the Raptors are making a big money run at Ujiri, whose contract is up in Denver. The Nuggets want to keep him but are not known as an organization that throws a lot of money around in the front office. Plus, Josh Kronke has the ultimate power there (and has handled it well), would Ujiri have (and want) more freedom in Toronto?
Whether they land Ujiri or not, this is good news for the Raptors — Colangelo had his chance and has seemingly had no grand vision or plan. The new GM will have some nice pieces — DeMar DeRozan, Jonas Valančiūnas and Rudy Gay — that don’t always fit well together. The first need is to come up with some kind of vision.
Also, this is not good news for coach Dwane Casey’s long-term job prospects.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 4
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2