May 20, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Bryan Colangelo is still going to be with the Toronto Raptors.
But he is going to be on the other side of the building (at least metaphorically).
By today the Raptors had to come to a decision on picking up Colangelo’s option as the franchise’s general manager and decision maker. And he is out in that role but not out of Raptors, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
We’ve already told you that the Raptors are making a big money run at Ujiri, whose contract is up in Denver. The Nuggets want to keep him but are not known as an organization that throws a lot of money around in the front office. Plus, Josh Kronke has the ultimate power there (and has handled it well), would Ujiri have (and want) more freedom in Toronto?
Whether they land Ujiri or not, this is good news for the Raptors — Colangelo had his chance and has seemingly had no grand vision or plan. The new GM will have some nice pieces — DeMar DeRozan, Jonas Valančiūnas and Rudy Gay — that don’t always fit well together. The first need is to come up with some kind of vision.
Also, this is not good news for coach Dwane Casey’s long-term job prospects.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 36
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38