May 20, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Bryan Colangelo is still going to be with the Toronto Raptors.
But he is going to be on the other side of the building (at least metaphorically).
By today the Raptors had to come to a decision on picking up Colangelo’s option as the franchise’s general manager and decision maker. And he is out in that role but not out of Raptors, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
We’ve already told you that the Raptors are making a big money run at Ujiri, whose contract is up in Denver. The Nuggets want to keep him but are not known as an organization that throws a lot of money around in the front office. Plus, Josh Kronke has the ultimate power there (and has handled it well), would Ujiri have (and want) more freedom in Toronto?
Whether they land Ujiri or not, this is good news for the Raptors — Colangelo had his chance and has seemingly had no grand vision or plan. The new GM will have some nice pieces — DeMar DeRozan, Jonas Valančiūnas and Rudy Gay — that don’t always fit well together. The first need is to come up with some kind of vision.
Also, this is not good news for coach Dwane Casey’s long-term job prospects.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 0
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10