May 20, 2013, 12:28 PM EST
Bryan Colangelo is still going to be with the Toronto Raptors.
But he is going to be on the other side of the building (at least metaphorically).
By today the Raptors had to come to a decision on picking up Colangelo’s option as the franchise’s general manager and decision maker. And he is out in that role but not out of Raptors, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
We’ve already told you that the Raptors are making a big money run at Ujiri, whose contract is up in Denver. The Nuggets want to keep him but are not known as an organization that throws a lot of money around in the front office. Plus, Josh Kronke has the ultimate power there (and has handled it well), would Ujiri have (and want) more freedom in Toronto?
Whether they land Ujiri or not, this is good news for the Raptors — Colangelo had his chance and has seemingly had no grand vision or plan. The new GM will have some nice pieces — DeMar DeRozan, Jonas Valančiūnas and Rudy Gay — that don’t always fit well together. The first need is to come up with some kind of vision.
Also, this is not good news for coach Dwane Casey’s long-term job prospects.
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 0
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 1
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 4
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 24
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33