May 20, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
The Nets are pretty hamstrung with their roster this summer. Billy King did put together an interesting team to open the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, a team led by Deron Williams and Brook Lopez that was the fourth seed in the East.
But he capped out the team to do it — they have $86 million already on the books for next season, well over the expected cap at $60 million and $72 million tax line. Now under the terms of the new CBA, King’s hands are largely tied on future moves. It may not be easy to bring back someone like Andray Blatche.
Especially since they plan to use their taxpayer’s mid-level exception of a little over $3 million to bring Bojan Bogdanovic stateside. So reports the New York Post, following up on other previous reports.
With the Nets all but certain to use their one exception to sign a player for more than the minimum to sign Bojan Bogdanovic, the only way they could re-sign Blatche is to offer him 120 percent of what he signed for last year – or a little less than $1.5 million.
Who is Bogdanovic? The Heat took him as the first pick of the second round back in 2011 (his rights changed hands a couple times since), but he has stayed playing for Fenerbahçe in the Turkish League. He’s a 6’7” swingman who averaged 15.9 points a game and shot 41 percent from three last season.
Basically, he’d be the new backup for Gerald Wallace. Which could end up being a lot of minutes for the Nets.
We’ll see how much other teams are willing to pay Blatche, and for how long. This is the summer we see the full impacts of the new CBA.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 1
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 5
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 3
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16