May 20, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
The Nets are pretty hamstrung with their roster this summer. Billy King did put together an interesting team to open the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, a team led by Deron Williams and Brook Lopez that was the fourth seed in the East.
But he capped out the team to do it — they have $86 million already on the books for next season, well over the expected cap at $60 million and $72 million tax line. Now under the terms of the new CBA, King’s hands are largely tied on future moves. It may not be easy to bring back someone like Andray Blatche.
Especially since they plan to use their taxpayer’s mid-level exception of a little over $3 million to bring Bojan Bogdanovic stateside. So reports the New York Post, following up on other previous reports.
With the Nets all but certain to use their one exception to sign a player for more than the minimum to sign Bojan Bogdanovic, the only way they could re-sign Blatche is to offer him 120 percent of what he signed for last year – or a little less than $1.5 million.
Who is Bogdanovic? The Heat took him as the first pick of the second round back in 2011 (his rights changed hands a couple times since), but he has stayed playing for Fenerbahçe in the Turkish League. He’s a 6’7” swingman who averaged 15.9 points a game and shot 41 percent from three last season.
Basically, he’d be the new backup for Gerald Wallace. Which could end up being a lot of minutes for the Nets.
We’ll see how much other teams are willing to pay Blatche, and for how long. This is the summer we see the full impacts of the new CBA.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85