May 20, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
It’s Dwight Howard silly rumor season.
Everyone knows the Lakers are still the front-runners in this race but the latest reports have the Rockets and Mavericks at least in a good stalking position to make a move once this race moves into the home stretch. Other teams may try to get into the mix as well.
But the Clippers? No. Never was going to happen. But just to reinforce that we have Ramona Shelburne of ESPN (who has been killing it lately).
You can cross Clippers off list of Dwight suitors, btw. Not happening for multiple reasons, according to sources—
Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) May 20, 2013
I’ll give you a couple quick reasons. One: Money. Dwight wants a max deal; the man wants to get paid. The Clippers could do that if they convince the Lakers to take DeAndre Jordan back in a sign-and-trade… good luck with that. Or, they can trade Caron Butler or Eric Bledsoe for nothing, plus let Grant Hill and Willie Green go. Then after signing Dwight they could re-sign Chris Paul under his “Bird rights” to a max deal so there would be three max contracts on the roster. And then Donald Sterling can get ready to pay a lot of luxury tax — which you know he really wants to do.
Also, Howard wants a team where he is the star. Chris Paul is the Clippers star, unquestioned, and Blake Griffin is by his side and even more so is the face of local marketing. You think Howard fits there as a trio? And that’s not even discussing how that group seems an odd match on the court.
But there you go. Deal dead.
By the way, the Chris Paul to the Knicks rumors are just about this likely. He’s not leaving the Clippers.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37