May 20, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
It’s Dwight Howard silly rumor season.
Everyone knows the Lakers are still the front-runners in this race but the latest reports have the Rockets and Mavericks at least in a good stalking position to make a move once this race moves into the home stretch. Other teams may try to get into the mix as well.
But the Clippers? No. Never was going to happen. But just to reinforce that we have Ramona Shelburne of ESPN (who has been killing it lately).
I’ll give you a couple quick reasons. One: Money. Dwight wants a max deal; the man wants to get paid. The Clippers could do that if they convince the Lakers to take DeAndre Jordan back in a sign-and-trade… good luck with that. Or, they can trade Caron Butler or Eric Bledsoe for nothing, plus let Grant Hill and Willie Green go. Then after signing Dwight they could re-sign Chris Paul under his “Bird rights” to a max deal so there would be three max contracts on the roster. And then Donald Sterling can get ready to pay a lot of luxury tax — which you know he really wants to do.
Also, Howard wants a team where he is the star. Chris Paul is the Clippers star, unquestioned, and Blake Griffin is by his side and even more so is the face of local marketing. You think Howard fits there as a trio? And that’s not even discussing how that group seems an odd match on the court.
But there you go. Deal dead.
By the way, the Chris Paul to the Knicks rumors are just about this likely. He’s not leaving the Clippers.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 3
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16