Report: Blazers considering trading up for Victor Oladipo

May 20, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT

Temple v Indiana Getty Images

Fans of every lottery team have a simple solution for how to operate in a historically weak draft: Trade down. Of course, if you think this is a weak draft, other teams probably do too, and they’re not going to be so keen on trading up.

But there might be one team interested in trading up. Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest on Victor Oladipo:

Sources close to the prospect say the Trail Blazers, among a few others teams, “really like him” and are “considering moving up to get him.”

When Oladipo was reached for comment, he acknowledged being aware of the interested teams that weren’t in position to take him. If Portland did pull off the move, Oladipo is all for it.

“I would really love to go to Portland, and I’m not just saying that,” he said convincingly to CSNNW.com. “I hope, and I don’t think I’m dropping that far, but if they decided to move up somehow, I think that would be a great situation for me. It’s a place where you can just concentrate on basketball.”

Though the top of this draft might be weak, players like Oladipo and Trey Burke in the No. 4/5 range represent good value for that draft slot. If the Blazers can get a pick in that area at a reduced rate because other teams become too pessimistic about this draft, good for Portland.

And Oladipo, a high-energy player who plays quality defense and had a breakthrough season as a shooter, would be a good fit with the Trail Blazers. Oladipo’s biggest weakness – he turns the ball over too much – would be muted while playing with Damian Lillard, a capable and willing ball handler. Wesley Matthews could, in time, slide to the bench and upgraded a lackluster reserve group.

1. sportsnut101 - May 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Well he won’t last past phx suns so gonna have to trade up n make it good

2. saint1997 - May 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Love this move. I’ve wanted Wes as a 6th man candidate for a while and Victors athleticism would partner perfectly with DL0. Make the move! (Plus he looks good in red)

• erckle31 - May 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Yeah, I definitely think they should make the move. I LOVE his game, especially his defense. If anyone gets a chance to see some of his tape, this dude is out of this world athletically. The Blazers need some more pieces to get back to where they were before and I think he’d be a great addition. And I also think he’d look pretty sick in the black, red and white. Pretty excited for the draft now, even though it might be one of the weaker drafts in recent memory, but we’ll see.

• casualcommenter - May 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM

He would be a TERRIFIC complement for Lillard.

Lillard is a great ballhandler, while Oladipo is weak at handling the ball.
      Lillard is still a work in progress as a defender, while Oladipo is a great defender.

They’re both improving as shooters, and both are able to penetrate into the paint to score.

On defense, give Oladipo the biggest backcourt threat, and on offense, have Lillard do most of the ball-handling, and voila – Trailblazers have potentially one of the best young backcourts in the NBA.

• saint1997 - May 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM

ooh best young back courts is hard to break into. You got the splash bros, kyrie and waiters, wall and beal etc.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches