May 20, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Fans of every lottery team have a simple solution for how to operate in a historically weak draft: Trade down. Of course, if you think this is a weak draft, other teams probably do too, and they’re not going to be so keen on trading up.
But there might be one team interested in trading up. Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest on Victor Oladipo:
Sources close to the prospect say the Trail Blazers, among a few others teams, “really like him” and are “considering moving up to get him.”
When Oladipo was reached for comment, he acknowledged being aware of the interested teams that weren’t in position to take him. If Portland did pull off the move, Oladipo is all for it.
“I would really love to go to Portland, and I’m not just saying that,” he said convincingly to CSNNW.com. “I hope, and I don’t think I’m dropping that far, but if they decided to move up somehow, I think that would be a great situation for me. It’s a place where you can just concentrate on basketball.”
Though the top of this draft might be weak, players like Oladipo and Trey Burke in the No. 4/5 range represent good value for that draft slot. If the Blazers can get a pick in that area at a reduced rate because other teams become too pessimistic about this draft, good for Portland.
And Oladipo, a high-energy player who plays quality defense and had a breakthrough season as a shooter, would be a good fit with the Trail Blazers. Oladipo’s biggest weakness – he turns the ball over too much – would be muted while playing with Damian Lillard, a capable and willing ball handler. Wesley Matthews could, in time, slide to the bench and upgraded a lackluster reserve group.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 3
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 11
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 25
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20