May 20, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Fans of every lottery team have a simple solution for how to operate in a historically weak draft: Trade down. Of course, if you think this is a weak draft, other teams probably do too, and they’re not going to be so keen on trading up.
But there might be one team interested in trading up. Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest on Victor Oladipo:
Sources close to the prospect say the Trail Blazers, among a few others teams, “really like him” and are “considering moving up to get him.”
When Oladipo was reached for comment, he acknowledged being aware of the interested teams that weren’t in position to take him. If Portland did pull off the move, Oladipo is all for it.
“I would really love to go to Portland, and I’m not just saying that,” he said convincingly to CSNNW.com. “I hope, and I don’t think I’m dropping that far, but if they decided to move up somehow, I think that would be a great situation for me. It’s a place where you can just concentrate on basketball.”
Though the top of this draft might be weak, players like Oladipo and Trey Burke in the No. 4/5 range represent good value for that draft slot. If the Blazers can get a pick in that area at a reduced rate because other teams become too pessimistic about this draft, good for Portland.
And Oladipo, a high-energy player who plays quality defense and had a breakthrough season as a shooter, would be a good fit with the Trail Blazers. Oladipo’s biggest weakness – he turns the ball over too much – would be muted while playing with Damian Lillard, a capable and willing ball handler. Wesley Matthews could, in time, slide to the bench and upgraded a lackluster reserve group.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14