May 20, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Fans of every lottery team have a simple solution for how to operate in a historically weak draft: Trade down. Of course, if you think this is a weak draft, other teams probably do too, and they’re not going to be so keen on trading up.
But there might be one team interested in trading up. Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest on Victor Oladipo:
Sources close to the prospect say the Trail Blazers, among a few others teams, “really like him” and are “considering moving up to get him.”
When Oladipo was reached for comment, he acknowledged being aware of the interested teams that weren’t in position to take him. If Portland did pull off the move, Oladipo is all for it.
“I would really love to go to Portland, and I’m not just saying that,” he said convincingly to CSNNW.com. “I hope, and I don’t think I’m dropping that far, but if they decided to move up somehow, I think that would be a great situation for me. It’s a place where you can just concentrate on basketball.”
Though the top of this draft might be weak, players like Oladipo and Trey Burke in the No. 4/5 range represent good value for that draft slot. If the Blazers can get a pick in that area at a reduced rate because other teams become too pessimistic about this draft, good for Portland.
And Oladipo, a high-energy player who plays quality defense and had a breakthrough season as a shooter, would be a good fit with the Trail Blazers. Oladipo’s biggest weakness – he turns the ball over too much – would be muted while playing with Damian Lillard, a capable and willing ball handler. Wesley Matthews could, in time, slide to the bench and upgraded a lackluster reserve group.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 3
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 10
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 4
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18