May 20, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
I’m not sure about some of you.
Did you really think Kobe Bryant was going to allow the last image of him on an NBA court to be that of him limping off after his Achilles injury? Does that seem like him? At all?
Yet, when Kobe said he was going to make a major announcement on his Facebook page this weekend twitter and other corners of the online world became hot with the rumor he was going to retire. Because stupid rumors catch fire on twitter sometimes.
So, Kobe himself shot it down.
The big announcement? An event in Los Angeles this August called “Kobe Up Close” to raise money for he and his wife’s foundation, which is focused on homelessness issues. A good cause.
People, Kobe is going to be back next season. Whether he plays beyond that (his contract is up after next season) depends on a whole lot of factors, but you can bet Kobe is not going to let the last image of him on the court be the one you have in your mind.
Now, let’s move on to real issues.
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 0
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 1
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 28
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 56
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 58
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40