May 20, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
I’m not sure about some of you.
Did you really think Kobe Bryant was going to allow the last image of him on an NBA court to be that of him limping off after his Achilles injury? Does that seem like him? At all?
Yet, when Kobe said he was going to make a major announcement on his Facebook page this weekend twitter and other corners of the online world became hot with the rumor he was going to retire. Because stupid rumors catch fire on twitter sometimes.
So, Kobe himself shot it down.
The big announcement? An event in Los Angeles this August called “Kobe Up Close” to raise money for he and his wife’s foundation, which is focused on homelessness issues. A good cause.
People, Kobe is going to be back next season. Whether he plays beyond that (his contract is up after next season) depends on a whole lot of factors, but you can bet Kobe is not going to let the last image of him on the court be the one you have in your mind.
Now, let’s move on to real issues.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 7
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2