Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City

May 20, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT

Tornado Outbreak Slams Through Oklahoma Getty Images

If you’re like me, you have been transfixed by the tragic events that have unfolded around Oklahoma City on Monday, where a monster tornado has left death and devastation in its wake. The pictures out of schools in that city are heart wrenching.

The thoughts of all of us here at PBT are with the people of OKC and those that have lost love ones.

While the season ended and most of the Thunder players have left town on vacation or to go to where they live in the offseason, you could see on twitter that they were watching and thinking of Oklahoma City, too.

As you would expect, Kevin Durant was one of the first.

Durant then followed that tweet by donating $1 million to the American Red Cross, according to Red Cross Oklahoma.

The official twitter handle of the Thunder has been sending out updates and news as well all Monday.

The Thunder are off for a while, but sports can be something for a community to rally around and hopefully come next fall the Thunder can provide that for Oklahoma City.

One of the best NBA bloggers out there is from OKC, Royce Young of Daily Thunder. And his tweet summed up the spirit of the city well.

1. 00maltliquor - May 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Wow…I’m hearing about this here first. Damn Oklahoma, keep your head up. Much prayers will be sent your way from me. Devastating. Was at court pretty much all day for the guy who killed my sister last year. Today was a horrible day but to know people probably lost entire families…heart-wrenching.

• casualcommenter - May 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My condolences go out to everybody in affected by the tornado in Oklahoma and to you, 00maltliquor, and your family, for the tragedy involving your sister.

2. spthegr8 - May 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

My heart goes out too all the victims of this storm and their families. Praying for you ALL!!!

@ Malt
    Sorry about your sister also homie. Hope today brought you and your fam some closure!!

3. claymatthewsisonsteroids - May 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Condolences to all affected in OKC and to you and your family, Malt…

4. fanatics0000 - May 21, 2013 at 1:38 AM

My heart goes out to the victims of thus horrific storm. God bless you all

5. bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Pray to the God that is supposedly powerful enough to intercede in our lives but decided to let a tornado kill a bunch of little kids. Mysterious ways i guess huh

• erckle31 - May 21, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Stop.

• asimonetti88 - May 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Learn when and where to pick your battles. This is not the right place for this.

Thoughts and prayers from Southern California for Oklahoma.

• bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I live in oklahoma. I can tell you that saying “thoughts and prayers” is the same thing as saying “I’m going to do nothing for anyone, but I will feel better about myself.” Sending your invisible prayer waves to an invisible man in the sky doesn’t improve the situation. People are suffering. People are devastated. If you REALLY cared, send 10 bucks to the red cross via text message. That’s what I did. It’s so easy to do. Although it isn’t much, that 10 dollars is more valuable than 10 billion prayers. Although people’s hearts are in the right place, in reality It’s insulting to rational thinking people to just give a hollow “prayer” gesture. Granted, the majority of americans go along with this charade, but I am trying to be realistic. If people just said “damn I feel terrible for those people. I hope they are able to get through this” that would be so much better. The prayer thing is smug and self serving.

• asimonetti88 - May 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I’m not religious, but thanks for letting me know that.

• bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I get the sarcasm. But you know as well as i do that 10 bucks to the red cross is better than “thoughts and prayers” comments. But whatever

• bamabob - May 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

KD just donated $1 million to the Red Cross. That good enough for you?

• bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Yes. That’s awesome. I love it.

6. cowboys8819 - May 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I send my prayers!

• bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

You should send your money instead! It will help! Just 10 freakin bucks! Or you could troll for thumbs up instead!!! Up to you!!!

7. letangusespertplus - May 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Durant is a class act.

8. bamabob - May 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM

This breaks my heart. My son and I took our first road trip together last year for WCF games 3 & 4 vs. the Spurs and had a GREAT time. He’s 16 (15 at the time) and it was just a great experience. The people there were incredibly friendly – salt of the earth types. Helpful in getting us to Bricktown, the OKC Memorial and other places to visit. Played some pickup hoops at Woodson Park. Inside the arena, the fans were the best I’ve ever seen. Just great people – and now this.

We will be doing all we can to help. Donating to Red Cross, sending supplies and, yes, positive thoughts and prayers. Can’t wait to go back again and all the best to anyone there who was affected.

9. florida727 - May 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Actually, if you really want to have an impact, I’d suggest you go to the Samaritan’s Purse website and see how you can volunteer. When the tornadoes ripped through Tuscaloosa, a group from our church went there through SP. Spent a week with a 42″ chainsaw strapped to my right arm. Got a heck of a lot more out of it than I gave. Everyone does. The money is nice, and probably makes you feel good about yourself, but you can directly impact someone’s life by going there and doing something. If you’re in one of the neighboring states, I highly encourage you to check out the SP website. They feed you; you sleep in a church gym somewhere (probably), complete with snoring that keeps you up half the night; but you help put people’s lives back together. I’ve seen this kind of devastation first hand. It’s a hard week with a lot of work, but if you help even just one or two families get back on their feet, it’s worth it.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview