May 20, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
If you’re like me, you have been transfixed by the tragic events that have unfolded around Oklahoma City on Monday, where a monster tornado has left death and devastation in its wake. The pictures out of schools in that city are heart wrenching.
The thoughts of all of us here at PBT are with the people of OKC and those that have lost love ones.
While the season ended and most of the Thunder players have left town on vacation or to go to where they live in the offseason, you could see on twitter that they were watching and thinking of Oklahoma City, too.
As you would expect, Kevin Durant was one of the first.
Praying for the victims of the Tornadoes in OKC these last few days..Everybody stay safe!—
Kevin Durant (@KDTrey5) May 20, 2013
Durant then followed that tweet by donating $1 million to the American Red Cross, according to Red Cross Oklahoma.
Again, pray for OKC… Everybody stay safe!—
Serge Ibaka (@sergeibaka9) May 20, 2013
Pray for Okc—
Perry Jones III (@Perry_Jones1) May 20, 2013
Please pray for the people in OKC. A lot of families lives changed from the tornados aftermath. 🙏☝—
Ronnie Brewer (@RonnieBrewerJr) May 20, 2013
🙏 Thoughts and Prayers to all affected by the tornado today.—
Thabo Sefolosha (@ThaboSefolosha) May 20, 2013
The official twitter handle of the Thunder has been sending out updates and news as well all Monday.
The Thunder are off for a while, but sports can be something for a community to rally around and hopefully come next fall the Thunder can provide that for Oklahoma City.
One of the best NBA bloggers out there is from OKC, Royce Young of Daily Thunder. And his tweet summed up the spirit of the city well.
Oklahomans have been through this kind of thing more than once. Bouncing back strong is kind of our thing.—
Royce Young (@dailythunder) May 21, 2013
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 0
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 20
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 35
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (63)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)