May 20, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
There are a lot of coaching interview rumors right now — basically the same handful of guys interviewing for every open job while those fan bases dream of Phil Jackson and Stan Van Gundy.
What follows is a wrap up of the weekend news from the coaching searches going on.
• The Suns are going to interview Rockets assistant coach Kelvin Sampson for their head coaching spot, reports CBSSports. For those of you scoring at home Sampson has also spoken to the Sixers, Bobcats, Bucks and Hawks.
• The Suns also reportedly are interested in Quin Snyder.
• Oklahoma City assistant coach Maurice Cheeks is on the Pistons radar and was interviewed for the job, according to the Detroit Free Press.
• Here is the handy list from that same interview of guys who have interviewed or will soon in Detroit: Nate McMillan, Lindsey Hunter, Mike Budenholzer, J.B. Bickerstaff, Brian Shaw, Darrell Walker and Cheeks.
• Jeff Hornacek and Lakers assistant coach Steve Clifford both interviewed with the Bobcats, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
• Stein also gave one of the more interesting rumors of the weekend some love.
Sterling met with current Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro over the weekend. If he is now talking with other coaches it’s a sign for Vinny, and not a good one.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 6
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 15
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18