Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture

May 20, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT

APTOPIX Rookie of Year Basketball AP

Let’s start out here by saying take this all with a grain of salt. People’s descriptions of fights after a bar closes often do not match reality.

But a pair of brothers in Oregon told television station KGW that they snapped a picture of Blazers point guard Damian Lillard walking to his car outside a club. Quickly one thing led to another, words were exchanged, other people came around and the brothers say then the entourage of Lillard beat them up.

Two brothers accuse NBA Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard of standing by while his entourage beat the brothers up early Saturday morning in Portland’s Old Town district. According to police, the incident happened around 2:30 a.m. on May 18.

“So I took a picture. And so Damian Lillard was upset that I took his picture, so when he turned around he’s like, “Did you just take my picture?!” said the brother.

“And his entourage just turned around too and they’re like ‘did you just take a picture of Damian Lillard?’ And I was like –and I said ‘Yeah, I did.’ And so I saw that he was clearly upset, they were upset and I was like, ‘Can I apologize to him? Like I’ll go up right now and apologize to him,’” the brother said.

Within minutes, he says the discussion became an all-out fight, which did not involve Lillard but did involve others that the brothers believe were part of Lillard’s group.

Police have confirmed only that the incident is under investigation.

Lillard’s agent told the Oregonian that the Rookie of the Year was not involved.

The Blazers told KOIN that, “We are aware of the alleged incident. Based on preliminary reports, none of our players is considered a suspect in this case.”

Take the word of a guy who spent years as a crime reporter in another life, incidents outside bars are never as clean cut, black-and-white as the patrons like to portray them. Hence the grain of salt — it is possible it was not Lillard’s guys. The Police will try to sort this all out and take whatever action they see fit.

But the Blazers have done a fantastic job in recent years of bringing in character guys and moving away from the “jail blazers” days that frustrated many fans. That makes this a more sensitive issue for the franchise.

1. logisticalvoices - May 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Nothing good happens at 2:30 AM. I know these guys want to go out and have a good time, but they need to understand that they are targets for accusations and worse.

I hope that this isn’t true. Kudos to the Blazers for sticking with him in the meantime. We usually forget that athletes are just like the rest of us, innocent until proven guilty.

• fanofevilempire - May 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

you could say that again.

• badintent - May 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM

The jock is a joke, we talking about a pic . You are free to take a photoi n America as long as you are not trhreating or attacking said subject.It is under the Civil Rights Bill.
      Hope the DA throws the book at his posse gofers and thugs.. Hope the civli law suit goes triple damages.Jailblazers 2.0

2. logisticalvoices - May 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

• fanofevilempire - May 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

you said it again.

3. logisticalvoices - May 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

@fanofevilempire: I know. Crap.

• money2long - May 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM

the fact it was an accident makes it funny

4. spideysdog - May 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I just figured out why Helin is anti Sonic. he’s a Blazer apologist.

• Kurt Helin - May 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I’m a Blazer apologist because I believe in being innocent until proven guilty? Again, I spent years as a crime reporter, bar fights are messy business for police because accounts vary widely as people’s memories are… hazy. Shall we say.

Also, I love Seattle and wish the Sonics were still there. I travel for this job, do you think I would rather visit Sac or Seattle?

• logisticalvoices - May 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Kurt isn’t anti-Sonic. You can’t be against something that doesn’t exist.

• 00maltliquor - May 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

@ K Heezy

I found that very interesting that you were formerly a crime reporter. Very nice lil’ tidbit from a writer we read from every day. IDK why but I find that pretty neat and interesting.

Hope when you reported you didn’t get the assailants or the victims names and/or factual info wrong like you tend to do here on a regular basis! LOL…I joke I joke, I keed I keed! Just bustin’ your balls friend!

Still, pretty nice personal reveal we readers would’ve never otherwise know.

5. thetooloftools - May 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

The thugs that hang out with pro athletes are there for 1 reason. Taking a picture was stupid. Running your mouth is even dumber.

6. patfic15 - May 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM

If its true, shame on the entourage. He’s an NBA player who most people wouldn’t recognize. Get over yourself. You’re no better than anyone else..

7. angulocarlos1 - May 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

‘did you just take a picture of Damian Lillard?’ – wow, what a ego trip

• spthegr8 - May 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM

^^^^^ you quoted the plaintiff as if its the gospel. Not saying it didn’t happen but so much for innocent until proven guilty!!

8. joregon - May 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I really hope this does not mean the Jailblazers are back.
    I have been a fan for a long time, since a big red head played. The only time I wasn’t was the Jailblazer years.
    This incident has more red flags attached to it than a May Day Parade in the USSR

9. newyorkfootballjets - May 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Do you really believe these brothers? lol they just looking for a pay day

10. trickybastard - May 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

There are no Sonics. They moved to Oklahoma and are now called the Thunder.

11. rickyspanish - May 21, 2013 at 5:40 AM

K Heezy!

12. nolanwiffle - May 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM

“The Police will try to sort this all out and take whatever action they see fit.”

….and remember, Sting always gets his man!

• 00maltliquor - May 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

LOL!

I had to read that twice then I finally got it lol!

13. azarkhan - May 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

“did you just take a picture of Damian Lillard?”
    “the entourage of Lillard”

That’s all I need to know that Damian Lillard is an a-hole.

14. 00maltliquor - May 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM

You takin’ my picture?!

Is Wayne Brady goin’ have ta slap a b**ch!?

15. yuwannano - May 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that Damian Lillard has an “entourage”?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches