Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass”

May 20, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT

The video above was a reminder to Alonzo Mourning that there is no privacy anymore. Not anywhere. (And if you think Jordan’s legacy would be the same in today’s world of cell phone video and 24-hour news/blog cycle as it was in his era… you should ask Steve Kerr about that rock show on the road.)

Mourning was speaking at the opening of a Microsoft store in Miami and got asked the inevitable “LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan” question. Now, remember that Mourning is a member of the Heat organization — he has a dog in this fight. His money quote:

“I’m gonna tell you what Scottie said. Scottie said that LeBron would kick MJ’s ass. And I said, ‘Scottie, you’re right.’”

Way to throw Pippen under that bus, Alonzo.

Have at this in the comments.

All I will state is what I have said about LeBron since the poorly-handled decision — it is too early to judge his ultimate legacy. The man is 28 and in his prime, talk to me in 7-10 years then we can start to put some perspective his body of work.

One other note to the MJ defenders out there (as if he needs defending): Spare me the “he never lost in the finals” argument. Yes, he never lost in the finals because the Pistons handed him his ass in the Eastern Conference three straight years. Everyone has to learn how to win at the NBA level (Magic Johnson being the exception to the rule), MJ just couldn’t get his team to the finals and learn on that stage, he lost in earlier rounds and learned there. That doesn’t make him less or more of a player, just don’t pretend he sprung fully formed from the sea foam like Aphrodite.

Hat tip to Daily Backcourt for the video.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too

Sep 2, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT

Miami Heat's Allen celebrates a three point shot against the Indiana Pacers during Game 7 of their NBA Eastern Conference final basketball playoff in Miami Reuters

Can’t blame a team for trying, I guess.

2. Manny Pacquiao works out at Warriors facility

Sep 2, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Pacquio

I think the Warriors are pretty set at the guard spot, but he would had some toughness.

3. Anthony Davis was throwing it down on New Zealand (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT

Anthony Davis, Casey Frank AP

When big men run the floor hard, good things happen.

4. USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried

Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

Team USA was supposed to be a perimeter-based team, but through three games the bigs are stealing the show.

5. Stephen Curry will not stand for ‘slander’ of his Under Armour shoes

Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Curry fired back on Twitter to someone who made a joke at the expense of his shoes.

6. Derrick Rose ‘fine’ with coming off the bench for Team USA

Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Rose was originally penciled in as the starter, but Kyrie Irving has been more deserving thus far.

7. Pau Gasol shreds Brazil at FIBA World Cup (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

pau gasol spain olympics Getty Images

This should make Bulls fans extremely happy.

8. Anderson Varejao, entering contract year, says he wants to remain with Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao AP

Cleveland, now with championship aspirations, may not feel the same way.

9. Timofey Mozgov not pushing to leave Nuggets in trade to Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao

Mozgov could play with LeBron James, for David Blatt (his Russian national team coach)

10. Jodie Meeks wants to bring some Kobe Bryant work ethic to Detroit

Sep 2, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

The young Pistons could use this kind of locker room leader.

11. Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush”

Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

“I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” —Ray Allen

12. FIBA World Cup Day 3 roundup: Pau Gasol drops 26 on Brazil as Spain looks dominant

Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao, Pau Gasol AP

Pau Gasol dropped 26 on Brazil, grabbed 9 boards and even blocked Nene at the rim.

13. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches