May 20, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
The video above was a reminder to Alonzo Mourning that there is no privacy anymore. Not anywhere. (And if you think Jordan’s legacy would be the same in today’s world of cell phone video and 24-hour news/blog cycle as it was in his era… you should ask Steve Kerr about that rock show on the road.)
Mourning was speaking at the opening of a Microsoft store in Miami and got asked the inevitable “LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan” question. Now, remember that Mourning is a member of the Heat organization — he has a dog in this fight. His money quote:
“I’m gonna tell you what Scottie said. Scottie said that LeBron would kick MJ’s ass. And I said, ‘Scottie, you’re right.’”
Way to throw Pippen under that bus, Alonzo.
Have at this in the comments.
All I will state is what I have said about LeBron since the poorly-handled decision — it is too early to judge his ultimate legacy. The man is 28 and in his prime, talk to me in 7-10 years then we can start to put some perspective his body of work.
One other note to the MJ defenders out there (as if he needs defending): Spare me the “he never lost in the finals” argument. Yes, he never lost in the finals because the Pistons handed him his ass in the Eastern Conference three straight years. Everyone has to learn how to win at the NBA level (Magic Johnson being the exception to the rule), MJ just couldn’t get his team to the finals and learn on that stage, he lost in earlier rounds and learned there. That doesn’t make him less or more of a player, just don’t pretend he sprung fully formed from the sea foam like Aphrodite.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 17
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14