May 18, 2013, 2:51 AM EDT
Here is the reality of the NBA Draft Combine: It doesn’t matter that much. It’s one small piece of a big puzzle.
This isn’t like the NFL draft where a good or bad combine can really move a guy on draft boards. The reason is pure numbers — in the NFL every year more than 250 players are drafted (254 this last draft). In the NBA there are about a 100 guys that get looked at every years, 60 get drafted and about 45 or so make a roster. With a smaller pool to consider, there are fewer surprises.
What do teams care about at the NBA draft combine? Interviews and measurements. How a guy does in shooting drills might reinforce preconceived ideas, but it’s not changing minds (they have seen him play in games already). But what teams don’t know for sure are real measurements — height, standing height (how tall you are with your arms up, which matters for bigs on defense), vertical leap and the like.
So here are a few notes out of the Draft Combine, Day 2, mostly related to measurements. Hat tips to Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress and Chad Ford at ESPN for many of these.
• First, here is a full list of the measurements, if you want to see them yourself.
• Cody Zeller is over 7 feet with shoes on but his standing vertical of 8’10” didn’t wow anybody — what did was his surprising 33.5 inch vertical (the best by a guy taller than 6’8” in a decade).
• Great note from Chad Ford at ESPN on Pitt’s Steven Adams (Insider, and a great overall read).
Pittsburgh’s Steven Adams was the big winner on Day 1. Not only did Adams look the part of a NBA center (he measured 7 feet, 250 pounds with a 7-foot-4.5 span), but he showed off some terrific athleticism and toughness on the defensive end. However, that’s not what wowed scouts. Adams showed off a surprising — no, shocking — offensive game, hitting jump shot after jump shot with a feathery touch.
“I can say I was honestly stunned,” one NBA GM said. “Where did that come from? That’s not something you develop with a few weeks with a trainer. He was way more skilled than we thought. That makes a huge difference in our evaluation of him.”
• What about Nerlens Noel? He measured 6’11.5” in shoes with a 7’3.75” wingspan and a 9’2” standing reach. Good numbers. But he weighed in at 206 pounds. Not so good, he’s going to need to put on some muscle for the NBA.
• Both wing players Ben McLemore and Shabazz Muhammad measured 6’4.75” in shoes, which is short for guys who want to play the three in the NBA.
• Indiana wing man Victor Oladipo turned a few heads with a 42-inch vertical leap.
• Shane Larkin, son of former MLBer Barry Larkin, had the best vertical in the combine with 44 inches.
Oct 2, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
There’s going to be a lot of this in the coming season.
Oct 2, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
It’s another year about development.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Celtics president Danny Ainge agrees that’s a fair request
Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
This is a court unlike any other
Oct 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
After 10 years in the league, how much change do we really expect?
Oct 2, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Gasol chose the polar vortex over the beach.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut dominated last season and return for more
Oct 1, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Kobe takes championship-or-bust mentality
Oct 1, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
George wants to re-join the Pacers for the playoffs
Oct 1, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Thunder forward says he doesn’t (unless he’s joking like Kevin Martin)
Oct 1, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Get fouled on a missed 2-pointer – one free throw worth two points
Get fouled on a missed 3-pointer – one free throw worth three points
Oct 1, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
OK, what did I get wrong?
Oct 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
Two young players trying to prove to new coaches they deserved minutes. This is a real setback for both.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
The show is on Disney XD. I suppose there are worse things your child could watch.
Man sues Madison Square Garden saying he was ejected from Knicks game for saying “Carmelo, you stink”
Oct 1, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
A Madison Square Garden spokesman called the lawsuit “frivolous.”
Oct 1, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Dirk loves him some Hoff.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Thing is, Rodman fit the triangle and what Jackson wants to do with a team. Smith…. not so much.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Monroe had a busy offseason in terms of appearances in the NBA’s news cycle.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
LeBron is taking on a leadership role early in his second stint in Cleveland.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
Broken hand is supposed to sideline Rondo for 6-8 weeks.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 1
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11