May 18, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
Robinson put in many memorable performances during his injury-ravaged team’s run into the second round, including leading Chicago to a thrilling triple-overtime win over the Nets in the fourth game of that series, and helping to steal Game 1 on the road in Miami against the defending champion Heat.
Robinson won’t soon be forgotten by Bulls fans for what he did for the team this season. But he also likely won’t be returning next year.
As an unrestricted free agent, Robinson is going to look to get a multi-year deal, and one that is more than the veteran’s minimum he played for in Chicago that wasn’t even fully guaranteed at the beginning of the season. But more than money being a potential issue is the fact that when healthy, the Bulls are very deep at the guard spot, which would make the services of Robinson somewhat expendable.
However, with Rose’s expected return next season, Hinrich having another deal on his contract and rookie point guard Marquis Teague needing at least the opportunity to develop in game situations, it’s unlikely that next season will be in Chicago for the instant-offense scorer and fan favorite.
If it was up to Robinson, though, the little man with the big heart would be back in the Windy City.
“I would love to. Honestly, I really would, but knowing the guys we have here, I know it’s probably limited space for me. But we’ll see how it goes. Talk to my agent and stuff like that and figure out what’s the best plan for me,” the loquacious speedster said. “I love this team, I love these guys and if I could stay here, it would be wonderful.”
Robinson averaged 16.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 4.4 assists in 33.7 minutes per game during the playoffs. There will be teams out there who will pay for that level of production, but the Bulls won’t be one of them given the wealth of guards on the roster that are expected to be fully healthy for next season.
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 2
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 8
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 9
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18