May 18, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
For months, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has maintained he’s done as Team USA’s basketball coach.
But he might be having a change of heart. Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated:
Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski acknowledged in a phone interview Saturday that he’s in discussions to return as head coach of USA Basketball through the 2016 Olympics.
“There’s a chance,” Krzyzewski said. “That’s correct.”
There’s no shortage of quality replacement options – including Doc Rivers and Gregg Popovich – if Krzyzewski steps down. After all, the 2016 coach, whoever it may be, will be coaching the most-talented team in the world.
But Krzyzewski had an especially remarkable string of success, going 62-1 with gold medals in Beijing and London since taking the job in 2006. That’s why USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo isn’t rushing Krzyzewski.
“I would never do that,” Colangelo said about talking to other candidates. “I’ve said that from the beginning, for what he’s invested in USA Basketball, he’s entitled to make his decision before anyone.”
Thamel reports a coach must be in place by a July minicamp, and I’d expect Krzyzewski to decide by then, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he decides to stay on and then later changes his mind. We’re still three years from 2016, and although it would be preferable to name a coach now, there’s plenty of time to handle this.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12