May 18, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
For months, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has maintained he’s done as Team USA’s basketball coach.
But he might be having a change of heart. Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated:
Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski acknowledged in a phone interview Saturday that he’s in discussions to return as head coach of USA Basketball through the 2016 Olympics.
“There’s a chance,” Krzyzewski said. “That’s correct.”
There’s no shortage of quality replacement options – including Doc Rivers and Gregg Popovich – if Krzyzewski steps down. After all, the 2016 coach, whoever it may be, will be coaching the most-talented team in the world.
But Krzyzewski had an especially remarkable string of success, going 62-1 with gold medals in Beijing and London since taking the job in 2006. That’s why USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo isn’t rushing Krzyzewski.
“I would never do that,” Colangelo said about talking to other candidates. “I’ve said that from the beginning, for what he’s invested in USA Basketball, he’s entitled to make his decision before anyone.”
Thamel reports a coach must be in place by a July minicamp, and I’d expect Krzyzewski to decide by then, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he decides to stay on and then later changes his mind. We’re still three years from 2016, and although it would be preferable to name a coach now, there’s plenty of time to handle this.
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 42
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20
- Cavaliers trade Keith Bogans and a second round pick to Sixers 8