May 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Predrag Danilovic, the Serbian guard (often called Sasha) who played for the Heat and Mavericks back in the 1990s, is in serious condition after being stabbed in a bar fight back in his native country, reports the Associated Press.
Police say Danilovic was hurt during a brawl early Saturday in a cafe in a residential part of the capital, Belgrade. Doctors say Danilovic underwent an operation to treat injuries to his abdomen, head and arms.
Police do not know what started the brawl, according to the report. Of course, like all bar brawls, I’m sure it was very important, serious matter.
Danilovic is now the GM of Serbian powerhouse Partizan Belgrade.
In the NBA he was drafted by Golden State in the second round in 1992 but was traded to Miami before he played a game as part of the Rony Seikaly deal. He was eventually traded to the Heat as part of the Jamal Mashburn deal. He had a huge career in Europe, including being named the Italian league MVP and Europe player of the year in 1998.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15