May 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Predrag Danilovic, the Serbian guard (often called Sasha) who played for the Heat and Mavericks back in the 1990s, is in serious condition after being stabbed in a bar fight back in his native country, reports the Associated Press.
Police say Danilovic was hurt during a brawl early Saturday in a cafe in a residential part of the capital, Belgrade. Doctors say Danilovic underwent an operation to treat injuries to his abdomen, head and arms.
Police do not know what started the brawl, according to the report. Of course, like all bar brawls, I’m sure it was very important, serious matter.
Danilovic is now the GM of Serbian powerhouse Partizan Belgrade.
In the NBA he was drafted by Golden State in the second round in 1992 but was traded to Miami before he played a game as part of the Rony Seikaly deal. He was eventually traded to the Heat as part of the Jamal Mashburn deal. He had a huge career in Europe, including being named the Italian league MVP and Europe player of the year in 1998.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18