May 17, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Whatever happened with the sale of the Kings, one thing was a lock — big front office changes and a coaching change were on the way.
Now that the deal is done and the Kings will be staying in Sacramento, don’t expect it to be long before you see changes — Geoff Petrie and Keith Smart out as coach. Everyone around the league knew they were lame ducks the second half of the season.
Sam Amick at the USA Today confirmed that, although he put it more kindly and suggested possible replacements (remember, new Kings owner Vivek Ranadive is selling his minority interest in Golden State to buy the Kings).
If Kings coach Keith Smart is not retained as is expected, then Warriors assistant Michael Malone – a former assistant in Cleveland and New Orleans who sparked dramatic defensive improvement at each of his NBA stops and has interviewed for several head coaching vacancies – is expected to be a candidate.
Longtime Kings general manager Geoff Petrie is not expected to be retained either after the team’s 28-54 campaign, and one possible successor who would certainly bring name recognition was on hand on Thursday night. Warriors’ legend Chris Mullin, who called Game 6 as a television commentator for ESPN, was in the team’s front office from 2004 to 2009 and said he would be open to discussing the situation in Sacramento. He has met Ranadive several times but said they had not yet discussed the possibility.
Malone, along with Brian Shaw and Kelvin Sampson, is one of the hottest assistant coach names to move into the big chair. With the Warriors now out of the playoffs, look for him to have series of interviews, but he would be a good choice.
The Kings front office likely will become more advanced stats friendly, something we saw with the Warriors and in places such as Memphis. Almost all teams use them now, just to varying degrees, but look for the Kings to move up that curve.
There are some good pieces — DeMarcus Cousins, if you can get him focused, Isaiah Thomas, even Marcus Thornton — but there is a lot of work to be done. The team needed a new direction and energy, and they are about to get that.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 48
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13