May 17, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
My first thought when I heard it was “wish I was playing poker against him.” But the line caught on to describe the them, and it’s now the chorus of a new anthem for the team from rapper Drumma Boy and Three 6 Mafia co-founder DJ Paul.
As my man Lang Whitaker at NBA.com’s All Ball blog points out, there is a great double meaning here because Memphis is nicknamed The Bluff City (because it sits on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River).
Frankly, this is great. I like it. And if Memphis can get past the Spurs to the finals, we are all going to be hearing this a lot.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 11
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 23
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10