May 17, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
My first thought when I heard it was “wish I was playing poker against him.” But the line caught on to describe the them, and it’s now the chorus of a new anthem for the team from rapper Drumma Boy and Three 6 Mafia co-founder DJ Paul.
As my man Lang Whitaker at NBA.com’s All Ball blog points out, there is a great double meaning here because Memphis is nicknamed The Bluff City (because it sits on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River).
Frankly, this is great. I like it. And if Memphis can get past the Spurs to the finals, we are all going to be hearing this a lot.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 18
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10