Joakim Noah hopes to avoid foot surgery this summer

May 17, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT

Joakim Noah AP

Generally, the cure for plantar fasciitis is rest. As in stay off your foot for a while.

Which really didn’t work for Joakim Noah in the playoffs. But now that the Bulls are eliminated there is a question about whether it is just rest and some treatment that he needs, or whether surgery is an option.

Both Noah and the Bulls, obviously, would prefer to avoid the knife, reports the Chicago Sun Times (via SLAM).

“That hasn’t been determined,’ Thibodeau said of Noah undergoing surgery. ‘Obviously, we’d like to avoid the surgery. He has responded a lot better. He has found something that has worked. We want him to get completely healthy That will be the focus, getting him back to 100 percent. He needs some rest, as most of the guys do. Same thing with Luol (Deng). We have to get him completely healthy again. Those are two players that we’ll be on top of right away.’”

Both should be healthy by the fall and ready to go, as should Derrick Rose.

Then there is the issue of keeping them healthy. Thibodeau doesn’t have a lot of depth on his teams and plays his starters big minutes during the season. The Bulls need to find a way to reduce minutes and get guys some rest. And not just down the stretch but all season.

1. reesesteel23 - May 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM

He should be trying to avoid getting shipped out of town because of the horrid playoffs he had…..all the clapping, screaming and crowd-hyping made it look like he did more than he really did…i dont care how much ‘energy’ he brings, he is overrated. -my opinion

2. jhuck92 - May 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

If anyone should be shipped out this summer, Boozer has my vote.

3. dgilet1 - May 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Hopefully nikola mirotic comes from overseas and plays well next year. Supposed to be a baller but its hit or miss. And maybe after a decent year someone will get tricked into giving up anything for boozer

4. glink123 - May 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Maybe Rose can have surgery to repair his damaged “muscle memory”?

5. glink123 - May 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Noah averaged career-highs in ppg (12.0), rebounds (11.2), assists (4.0), and blocks (2.1), while earning $11 million. Bosh averaged career-lows in ppg (16.6), rebounds (6.8), assists (1.7), and blocks (1.4), while “earning” $20 million, basically double Noah’s salary. If you asked all 30 NBA owners who’d they’d rather have on their team between Bosh and Noah, I guarantee you all 30 owners would choose Noah (including your Heat owner). So stfu, Heat homer.

6. brokerhenry - May 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I am 6’6″ 250 lbs. About 3 months after I arrived Fort Lauderdale from Stockholm, I developed something that hurt like the dickens every time I got out of bed in the mornings. Guys, it was so bad I had to purchase metal baking rolling pins and stand on them and gently roll them back and forth for about 30 minutes each day. This went on for about a year. Imagine doing that for a whole freaking year!!! When we would go to Wyoming to visit my wife’s family, we would pack my damned pins!! Then I decided I had had enough. I went to the orthopedic surgeon at Northwest Medical in Margate, and they told me of surgical options. The options included actually severing the damn thing!!! Imagine them literally cutting the facia from left to right!!! Hell no, I said. What they ended up doing was inserting some sort of tough as nails balloons in both feet and then gradually filling them up with isotonic solutions for about a year. Guess what guys, it worked. It has been 7 years since I had the procedure and I have never felt a twinge of pain. On moving here to Sydney, I was a little worried that the change in altitude or atmospheric pressure differences might adversely affect me. But not a thing has happened. I had to wear specially designed shoes while undergoing my procedure and I suspect it is not an option for Noah because of his line of work. If you have not experienced that burning pain that can drive you freaking insane, you are very lucky. I just marvel at the toughness of Joakim Noah because I have experienced that thing first hand and it nearly drove me insane. I am a Heat fan, but I respect the toughness of that guy to the max.

• brokerhenry - May 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that they inserted the balloons under the fascia and stretched them that way. I run 7 miles every other day and other than the residual tenderness one feels for a few hours after running, there is no pain. I am 42, so I run every other day in order to allow my legs to rest.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches