May 17, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Jerry Sloan is 71 years old. He’s a Hall of Famer. He spent 21 of his last 23 seasons coaching with either John Stockton or Deron Williams as his point guard.
You think he wants to coach a team that’s hoping Brandon Jennings is its point guard next season?
In the nicest terms possible – “They came to see him on his farm (in downstate Illinois). They had a great meeting just in terms of liking each other. (Bucks general manager) John Hammond said ‘I wish I could have stayed and watched the game with him’” – the answer is no, according to Sloan’s agent Keith Glass. Glass, who also represents Scott Skiles, via David Aldridge of NBA.com:
“Jerry probably is a lot like Scott, in that the working conditions and where the team is (contender-wise) are important,” Glass said. “For Jerry to go to a place that’s going to take years to build—and I’m not talking about Milwaukee, I’m talking about anywhere—that’s just not right for him. They have to be able to compete. Jerry is a competitor, and he wants to compete and teach.”
“Guys like Jerry, who are Hall of Famers, they can peruse the landscape—and work or not work,” Glass said.
Potential contenders, using a generous definition, at least potentially looking for a coach: Nets (if Deron Williams approves), Hawks (if Dwight Howard signs and if Larry Drew is fired), Clippers (if Vinny Del Negro is fired), Grizzlies (if Lionel Hollins is let go). That’s a short list with more ifs than teams.
It sounds increasingly likely Sloan won’t coach again.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 9
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 18
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90