May 17, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Jerry Sloan is 71 years old. He’s a Hall of Famer. He spent 21 of his last 23 seasons coaching with either John Stockton or Deron Williams as his point guard.
You think he wants to coach a team that’s hoping Brandon Jennings is its point guard next season?
In the nicest terms possible – “They came to see him on his farm (in downstate Illinois). They had a great meeting just in terms of liking each other. (Bucks general manager) John Hammond said ‘I wish I could have stayed and watched the game with him’” – the answer is no, according to Sloan’s agent Keith Glass. Glass, who also represents Scott Skiles, via David Aldridge of NBA.com:
“Jerry probably is a lot like Scott, in that the working conditions and where the team is (contender-wise) are important,” Glass said. “For Jerry to go to a place that’s going to take years to build—and I’m not talking about Milwaukee, I’m talking about anywhere—that’s just not right for him. They have to be able to compete. Jerry is a competitor, and he wants to compete and teach.”
“Guys like Jerry, who are Hall of Famers, they can peruse the landscape—and work or not work,” Glass said.
Potential contenders, using a generous definition, at least potentially looking for a coach: Nets (if Deron Williams approves), Hawks (if Dwight Howard signs and if Larry Drew is fired), Clippers (if Vinny Del Negro is fired), Grizzlies (if Lionel Hollins is let go). That’s a short list with more ifs than teams.
It sounds increasingly likely Sloan won’t coach again.
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 4
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 26
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50