Greg Oden reportedly ‘looks unbelievable’

May 17, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT

Greg Oden AP

In 2009, Greg Oden averaged 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per 36 minutes. After injury, Oden finally looked like the No. 1 pick (at least when not compared to Kevin Durant), and people were getting excited.

Of course, you know how the story ends. More injuries for Oden, who hasn’t played since.

Well, maybe that’s not how the story ends. Bob Finnan of The News-Herald (hat tip: Kelly Dwyer of Ball Don’t Lie):

Former Ohio State forward Deshaun Thomas said he’s been working out with ex-Portland center Greg Oden.

“Man, he looks unbelievable,” he said at the draft combine. “He’s running. He’s lifting weights. You might be seeing a comeback. He looks like he’s ready to go. He’s running, getting in shape. I’ll tell you one thing. For a big 7-footer that’s all he does, running and getting in shape. He’s looking right.”

Thomas isn’t exactly an unbiased source. Like Oden, he’s a Buckeye from Indiana. And if they’re training together, they’re probably friends.

But I’d love to see Oden complete an NBA comeback if for no other reason than it would mean his life is back on track.

1. goraidersgospurs - May 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Is that his girlfriend or daughter in the picture? All jokes aside he would be a nice addition to the Spurs if he was able to join them!!!

• leet793 - May 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I think you meant granddaughter.

• lisalou4sho - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

That lady with him is neither his daughter or GRANDdaughter!!!! Her name is Christina Green from Portland Oregon (A.C. Green’s niece) I have known her since she was born! And HE looks older than 25 years old but she is 23 years so….they have been dating for the last 2+ years….he is a tramp tho! Just saying…

2. money2long - May 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

greg oden on the heat though !!!!!!!!!

• money2long - May 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

i also wouldn’t mind seeing him on a young team with players around his age. could be best for chemistry/comfort for someone making a comeback without much experience in the league.

3. misterdreamer119 - May 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Greg. Come to the Celtics.

4. dbones750 - May 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Someone sign that guy. If healthy, he can beast.

5. mz1394 - May 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Unbelievably old

• aptt15 - May 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM

25?

• tuberippin - May 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM

He was going for “Greg Oden reportedly looks unbelievably…old”

6. therealkennypowers55 - May 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Greg Oden ages in dog years.

• dondada10 - May 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

/slow clap

• badintent - May 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM

PBT quote of the night. Well spoked.

7. brokerhenry - May 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

No one’s career should end because of unfortunate events that are unpredictable and beyond one’s control. I hope there is a happy ending to Greg’s story. A big that can run, block shots, alter shots and give you 16 paint points and rebound?! I don’t care if he never takes an outside shot. Chris Bosh can do that. I want that dude with my Heat if healthy. I want D-Wade to be sensible and retire at the end of this season and join the front office. Think about it for a minute. Kids in primary school right now know Dwyane Wade. They do not know Pat Riley. I go watch high school basket ball here in Sydney, Australia wearing Miami Dolphins gear and kids ask me about the big 3. Dwyane will be able to recruit top talents for Miami from all over the world for decades. D-Wade has a chance to go out on top and then build another career as an executive. Those knees are done my man. Greg go to Miami and build a legacy!!

• eventhorizon04 - May 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

So you think Dwyane Wade’s knees are “done” because he’s had knee problems (but has been able to play) two post-seasons in a row, and you want to give Greg Oden the roster spot Wade currently has?

You may want to look up the last time Oden has been able to play NBA basketball.

• brokerhenry - May 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

@eventhorizon: Dude I am a Biochemist and working on my graduate degree in Molecular Pharmacology here in Sydney. We have not found ways to produce stable chondrocytes that can withstand sustained in-vivo enzymatic action yet. The best lasts 3 months at most. Clearly Dwyane Wade has reduced chondrocyte mass in his knees. In no way did I call for replacing Dwyane Wade with Greg Oden. I said I wanted him in Miami if healthy. He will of course come in on a minimum and prove himself capable of playing a whole season. Please tell me how many more years of A-type ball you think Dwyane Wade has in him? Dwyane Wade is a special man with god-given talents. The man is 6’4″ and plays with such ferocity. Dwyane Wade has been battling knee issues for at least 3 years now. D-Wade is the best shot-blocking guard in the history of the game. To put that into perspective, you have to think about all the players who have ever played both point and shooting guard positions in the history of the game. None of them can lay claim to that achievement.

The Miami Heat must trade, package, retire, do something with Mario Chalmers, Joel Anthoy, Udonis Haslem, James Jones and Mike Miller. We must give Norris Cole the opportunity to achieve his full potential. I think that guy is special. The Heat can no longer keep going against teams with 7 footers with undersized guys. Remember when we used to get regularly killed by 20 rebounds differential? We were lucky a hungry Chris Andersen fell into our laps.

The Heat have to retain LeBron James and Chris Bosh. Those guys will command max contracts. Tell me again how many years of A-class ball, the only way Wade knows how to play you think he has left in him? How could the Heat justify giving him a max contract from a straight business point of view? However, there is loyalty to Wade, and rightly so. The man is the heart and soul of the team. You cannot disrespect him by maxing the other two and asking him to take a pay cut. The only viable solution is for Dwyane Wade to retire after this season or next and understudy Pat Riley. He will need 2 years and a further 2 after Pat retires to become his own man. Please provide me a path for the Heat to remain the top dog other than what I am proposing.

Chicago is not going away. Those guys are tough as nails. And they are hungry and pissed off. Russel Westbrook is coming back with murder in his eyes. So is Rondo. The Heat must get better too. Dwyane Wade cannot keep up. Repeated and risky surgery and procedures to the same appendage will cause all kind of inflammatory/anti-inflammatory responses and stiffen that appendage. I don’t want to see Wade reduced to bone-on-bone has been who does not know when to hang it up.

8. 1972wasalongtimeago - May 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

When I read the headline, I wasn’t sure if the Deshaun guy was talking about Oden’s game or if he was talking about something else entirely.

9. eventhorizon04 - May 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

His agent has said his top two choices are the Cavaliers and the Heat.

With the Cavaliers, he’d get the most money, have the biggest role, and be a “hometown hero” after playing his college ball at Ohio State.

With the Heat, he’d get less money, have a smaller role, but would be on a high-profile contender.

My guess is that it really depends on how much he expects he’ll be able to do the first 2 years of his comeback. If he thinks he can be a 30+ minute per game player, he’ll go to the Cavaliers.
    If he would prefer to be a role-player who chips in 10-20 minutes per game, he’ll go to the Heat and have a great shot at a championship ring.

• cantonbound13 - May 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

He would actually make LeBron look young.

• melkipershero - May 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Its Ships not Chips. As in ChampionSHIPS.

• melkipershero - May 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Ugh. Reading comprehension is killer today.

My fault. That Chips crap bugs me and Ive been waiting to see it so i could point it out. Jumped the gun!

10. jayquintana - May 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Why not sign him to a minimum-salary contract (with incentives)? At worse, he can’t be any worse than the typical 15th man. And who knows? Maybe he could be pretty good?

11. therealhtj - May 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Why do I feel like I’m reading a Brandon Roy article from a year ago?

• fm31970 - May 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I think the Greg Oden story will be very similar. I haven’t read that Oden’s knees have healed or even gotten better, and while he’s rested and (hopefully) hasn’t made them worse, how is he going to hold up for a season?

Oden and Bynum…stay away, GMs!

12. glink123 - May 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, they still haven’t figured out how to regenerate knee cartilage. Until that happens, he’s broken. Ask Penny Hardaway, Brandon Roy, etc.

13. ballerballerballer - May 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

There was a piece of information from Deshaun Thomas’ quote that I didn’t get. Is Greg Oden running?

14. dirtydrew - May 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

As a man with a blown out knee at 18 ( I’m 38 now) I hope Greg Oden can have a resurrected career. Not for the money, or playing for my team, but for him to do something he loves. Everyone thinks ACL is the major knee injury, but you can come back from that. It’s the torn cartilage that poses the long term problem. Bone on bone hurts…trust me.

• badintent - May 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

any news on teflon used in knee replacements ? Or stem cell replacement therapy ? Hope something comes along soon for your sake. I ‘m watching the results of Pau Gasol’s ultrasound surgery and stem cell treatment for his patella tendonois and bur spurs. I have the same condition on my knees. Hope it all works out for him. I’ll give it a try.

15. nobandwagonridersallowed - May 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM

You would have to be a fool as an executive to pay him big gauranteed dollars and he hasn’t proven himself to stay healthy. My guest is that he will sign with a contender on a 1 or 2 year deal to prove he can sustain durability, then try to cash in after that. I hope it works out for him somewhere because this guy is a great talent at the 5 spot.

Someone really needs to confirm his birth certificate though! He looks a million gazillion years old!

16. halfbaht - May 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Would love to see Greg in clover green, although I think it’s more likely to see him in maroon and gold

17. natareo - May 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Oden to the spurs. because they always had success with 7 footers at the 5 spot, and they do need his size and ability. and coach pop always had success at managing injured players and try to keep his players healthy, and with the spurs he wont get so banged up. Good team Good coaching best chance at a come back career and a ring.

18. cantonbound13 - May 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I thought that was the old guy in the sprite commercials

19. mydoghasfleez - May 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Lived around Portland, OR for last 25 years. Lived around Phila for 40 years before that. Been an avid & knowledgable basketball fan for 55 of those years. Who the hell is the Greg Oden that I see touted here as an Ohio (one year college ball, hurt most of year, did great in NCAA tournament) great & what’s more bizzare – a good NBA player? Even if his knees had not given out, he was mediocre at best. Not athletic, lumbered (not ran) up & down the court, swung excessively on the rim after every dunk, terrible hands. He was not a great ball player & never will be. I wish him the best in life as a young man handed millions by the Blazers for no return – take them and make your life happy & content. But cut this crap about ever being a major basketball player.

20. bougin89 - May 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

COME TO THE BUCKS. 7 million 1 year…we’ll take the gamble, i’d rather gamble on Oden than Jennings…

21. skinsfanwill - May 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM

He is the real life version of Benjamin Button. His knees might have reversed aged to 30 years old now. He might be a star for the next 10 -12 years.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches