May 17, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
In 2009, Greg Oden averaged 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per 36 minutes. After injury, Oden finally looked like the No. 1 pick (at least when not compared to Kevin Durant), and people were getting excited.
Of course, you know how the story ends. More injuries for Oden, who hasn’t played since.
Former Ohio State forward Deshaun Thomas said he’s been working out with ex-Portland center Greg Oden.
“Man, he looks unbelievable,” he said at the draft combine. “He’s running. He’s lifting weights. You might be seeing a comeback. He looks like he’s ready to go. He’s running, getting in shape. I’ll tell you one thing. For a big 7-footer that’s all he does, running and getting in shape. He’s looking right.”
Thomas isn’t exactly an unbiased source. Like Oden, he’s a Buckeye from Indiana. And if they’re training together, they’re probably friends.
But I’d love to see Oden complete an NBA comeback if for no other reason than it would mean his life is back on track.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10