Deshaun Thomas refuses to give Spurs his phone number

May 17, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Wichita State v Ohio State Getty Images

As my friends can attest, I’m not always the smoothest guy around. But even I know to make a little small talk before trying to score a number.

Apparently, the Spurs just rushed to the point when they were set up with Ohio State’s Deshaun Thomas. Jason Lloyd of Ohio.com:

Thomas said teams asked him plenty of difficult and interesting questions during his interview process at the combine. But the most interesting, he said, was the fact the Spurs’ first question was for his cell phone number and his e-mail address. He gave them the e-mail, but not the phone number.

“I can’t go around giving it out to everyone,” Thomas said Thursday with a laugh. “Now if they want to draft me, I’d be happy to give it to them.”

Sadly, a silly little incident like this might actually hurt Thomas’ draft stock. Too many teams fear players who question authority and prefer someone who will blindly follow their commands. Ben McLemore could probably get away with safeguarding his phone number, but a marginal prospect like Thomas might get passed over because of this.

Maybe the next team that interviews Thomas will play it a little cooler. And maybe Thomas will realize giving up his phone number is worth the increased chance of going higher in the draft.

1. money2long - May 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

are you kidding me? if the spurs asked me for my phone number, i’d give them that, my social security number, a hair sample and maybe even dental records. if i’m at the point where someone in control of my dream to play in the NBA asked me for contact info, i’m giving them anything and everything they ask for. i second what the article points out about how some may be able to get away with it, but if you’re a marginal player, you need to open all venues that give you the best opportunity to make it.

• goraidersgospurs - May 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Can you blame him who would want to play for the spurs they never make the playoff and Tim Duncan is the worst PF ever and POP is a mean old man that can’t coach, the spurs are a joke!!!

• fanofevilempire - May 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM

so he will drop in the draft because he gave up his e-mail and not his cell #.

people believe the Spurs have this BIG time history, they don’t goggle
      Lakers or Boston, they BUILT the nba.

• wildcat1100 - May 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM

What would happen if they goggled Lakers or Boston?

2. tomshoe - May 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Give them your number kid! The Spurs bring the best out of everyone that comes in.

If a phone number and a few questions is the difference between being Quincy Pondexter and Chandler Parsons, I’d give them the numbers to my whole family.

3. tomshoe - May 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

If a phone number and a few questions is the difference between being Austin Daye and Chandler Parsons, I’d give them the numbers to my whole family.

4. jollyjoker2 - May 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

knucklehead. These guys write million dollar checks. Ever heard of trac phone? 9.99 and comes with 10 minutes free air time.

5. therealhtj - May 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Google Voice homie. Check it out.

6. sportsnut101 - May 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I wouldn’t wanna get drafted by spurs. I wanna enjoy where I work. N I. Sure nobody enjoys being coached by pop

N spurs Neva sign big contracts unless u Duncan Manu or tony. Everyone else is getting peanuts compared to them but is expected to produce as much or more then them no thx cheap spurs Yes they win but what is winning gonna do when u underpaid after basketball life.

7. badintent - May 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM

In a few years, this chumpass won’t have the $$$ to have a cell phone.

8. glink123 - May 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

“call my agent”.

9. stayhigh_247 - May 18, 2013 at 1:00 AM

he just screwed himself. Next!!

10. nokoolaidcowboy - May 18, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Pass on this guy. If he is not intelligent enough to go down to Walmart and get himself a “throw away” cell phone, forget him. Silly little quirks translate into Diva or eccentric like problems down the road (just to name a few).

11. patfic15 - May 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Yep. Looks like a lot of folks are calling him. Grow up kid.

12. jcmeyer10 - May 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Cut to draft day where he is getting an email from the team drafting him when the camera is on him.

13. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Watch this goof not get drafted and have to drop his cell phone plan as a result. hey Deshaun you’re a middle second round pick in danger of falling of the board completely, try and smarten up, you’re not at Trash U anymore.

14. apmn - May 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Deshaun, are you worried about Pop texting you to come hang with at 4 am while you are trying to sleep? Or maybe Tim Duncan is gonna ask you to help him move a couch?

15. thelancemorris - Jun 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

He was the leading scorer in the best conference in college basketball. If teams don’t give him a chance it’s their loss.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches