May 16, 2013, 10:21 AM EST
You see this move all the time — a shooter is about to take three from in front of the opposing bench so one of the players on that bench yells to try and distract the shooter. Actually, Vinny Del Negro does that pretty often, and it’s kind of embarrassing when a coach does it, but I get why players do it.
Tony Allen never stops playing defense, even when he’s sitting on the bench — notice he is up and standing in position to distract the shooter before the pass even arrives, he’s that good — so he tried to get in Derek Fisher‘s head by yelling and waiving a towel behind him. But he didn’t mean to accidentally throw his warm-up shirt on to the court at the same time.
Fisher missed the three (he was 3-of-11 on the night from deep) but the refs correctly awarded him the three points and called a technical on Allen for the play. Kevin Durant hits the shot, it’s a four-point play. He doesn’t fight it, in fact you can tell he’s pretty embarrassed by it.
Allen can laugh about it now because the Grizzlies held on for the win and advance on to the conference finals where they likely take on the Spurs (not exactly David Stern’s dream TV matchup).
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11