May 16, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
The Knicks had their best regular season since 1994-95, their first scoring champion since 1984-85 and their only playoff-series victory since 200
20. Their season, whether or not it sends in Game 5 against the Pacers tonight, should be viewed as a success and praised. New York overachieved, at one point playing like the best team in the NBA – a phenomenal achievement for an old, hodgepodge roster.
But thanks to the hypercritical media environment in New York, a vocal unreasonable fan base and their own doing, the Knicks will likely be viewed as failures with a second-round exit. The expectations have just become too high.
In the last 12 years, only the Bobcats and Raptors have fewer playoff wins than the Knicks.
Some act like the current Knicks should erase that dozen years of playoff futility, even though no current New York player has been on the roster more than three years.
The Knicks can’t fix the last 12 years tonight. They can win a game.
But they shouldn’t have to win that game to get respect.
If their closest peers in the last dozen years – the Wizard and Bucks on the slightly better side, Raptors and Bobcats on the slightly worse side – beat the Hawks in a first-round series, we’d celebrate their season as a success. The Knicks deserve the same treatment, no matter how fun it is too laugh at the haughty franchise when it stumbles.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
Bonner claims a Spurs strength-and-conditioning coach supports the theory
Jul 6, 2015, 11:04 PM EDT
This rookie knows how to finish at the rim.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Cleveland fills its biggest need with its second-best roster-building mechanism
Jul 6, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Peter Feigin makes another threat
Jul 6, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Guard will make $2.5 million
Jul 6, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
In Utah, he counts as a veteran
Jul 6, 2015, 6:44 PM EDT
This is a solid signing, but the Mavs need more help at the guard spot.
Jul 6, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
This trade could work for both teams if the Clippers can flip Haywood’s contract again for a big man.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
West left $10.6 million on the table to go to a contender.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT
This signing was never in doubt.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:12 PM EDT
Signing Terry would go over well with the fan base in Dallas
Jul 6, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Skilled forward was No. 35 pick in 2010 NBA draft
Jul 6, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Can the Spurs keep Patty Mills and Boris Diaw, too? Ginobili must still negotiate a contract
Jul 6, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Lakers are surprisingly high at 50/1
Jul 6, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT
Nobody wants Anderson Varejao and his contract
Jul 6, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
As a result, Clippers suffer
Jul 6, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
Cavaliers forward, a basketball and nothing else
Jul 6, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Michael Malone lands a good lieutenant
Jul 6, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
Former NBA point guard also loves Cory Joseph signing with Raptors
Jul 6, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36