May 16, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
The Knicks had their best regular season since 1994-95, their first scoring champion since 1984-85 and their only playoff-series victory since 200
20. Their season, whether or not it sends in Game 5 against the Pacers tonight, should be viewed as a success and praised. New York overachieved, at one point playing like the best team in the NBA – a phenomenal achievement for an old, hodgepodge roster.
But thanks to the hypercritical media environment in New York, a vocal unreasonable fan base and their own doing, the Knicks will likely be viewed as failures with a second-round exit. The expectations have just become too high.
In the last 12 years, only the Bobcats and Raptors have fewer playoff wins than the Knicks.
Some act like the current Knicks should erase that dozen years of playoff futility, even though no current New York player has been on the roster more than three years.
The Knicks can’t fix the last 12 years tonight. They can win a game.
But they shouldn’t have to win that game to get respect.
If their closest peers in the last dozen years – the Wizard and Bucks on the slightly better side, Raptors and Bobcats on the slightly worse side – beat the Hawks in a first-round series, we’d celebrate their season as a success. The Knicks deserve the same treatment, no matter how fun it is too laugh at the haughty franchise when it stumbles.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Retired jersey went to New Orleans when team moved
Oct 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
76ers point guard originally given 5-to-50-game timeline
Oct 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Suns guard sends Clippers reserve flying
Oct 23, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Lakers president has strong words for Kobe detractors after ESPN report
Oct 23, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Kobe previously planned to play all eight preseason games
Oct 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
He could miss the start of the season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
The grit and grind has an improved offense. Where do they stand in the loaded west?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
No. 6 pick in 2013 NBA draft readying to play for 76ers
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Bulls center had knee surgery this offseason
Oct 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Cavaliers show up Grizzlies
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Heat coach attempting to win first playoff series without LeBron James
Oct 23, 2014, 2:22 AM EDT
The Knicks still run some isolation.
Kobe Bryant on Julius Randle playing with Kobe, for Byron Scott: ‘If you f— this up, you’re a really big idiot’
Oct 23, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Lakers star likes dropping I bombs
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
No charges have been filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
J Crossover up close and personal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Rockets downgraded Parsons, but he’ll have a chance to reach new heights with Mavericks
Oct 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Lakers forward also says he’s quit drinking alcohol
Oct 22, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Stephen Curry takes advantage
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Phil Jackson has spoken to the media more than the previous three GMs ever did, I think.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“ We still have roughly a third of our teams that are not profitable under the current system, despite revenue sharing.” —Adam Silver
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22