May 16, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Thursday and Friday in Chicago is the NBA Draft Combine, where 60 invited players — guys likely or at least in the mix to be drafted — get measured, tested, go through interviews with teams, and occasionally run drills.
It’s a place where a guy can get noticed, although mostly it is just part of a broader picture for teams. Still, every team is there measuring and interviewing guys. Here are some notes out of the first day from watching the television broadcast, as well as tweets from Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress and others.
• Give UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad credit: While most of the lottery picks choose not to play he wanted to go out there and compete. But he’s already slid down draft boards and he didn’t help himself on Thursday.
How bad was it for Muhammad? A number of NBA decision makers told Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com he could fall out of the lottery all together. This for a guy who one year ago was Top 3 on everyone’s board.
• One of the overseas player invited — Dennis Schroeder, a point guard out of Germany — was in the building but didn’t go through drills, claiming a toothache. Chad Ford of ESPN said the toothache is actually a promise from a team in the middle of the first round do take him. DraftExpress had him No. 16 on their prospect list, so that sounds about right.
• Likely Top 5 pick Anthony Bennett of UNLV did not attend the combine as he had rotator cuff surgery on Wednesday. This is not expected to be a long-term issue, but he will not be working out for teams.
• Guy who turned heads? Rudy Gobert, a center from France. According to Chad Ford he officially measured 7’2” in shoes with a combine-best (and flat out ridiculous) 7-8 1/2 wingspan and a 9-7 standing reach. He was impressive in the drills.
• DraftExpress has Gobert at No. 11, but this kind of performance and measurement may have him moving up.
• Louisville’s rim-protecting center Gorgui Dieng had the second biggest measurements at the combine. However, he was in a walking boot for a sprained ankle and is not participating in drills.
• Chad Ford said Greece’s Giannis Antetokounmpo got a promise near the end of the first round.
• Kansas’ Ben McLemore measured on the short side — 6’4.75″ in shoes. Good wingspan, but that number doesn’t help his cause.
May 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Scary moment in Houston.
May 25, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
What do they know?
May 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The league had been exploring moving Game 1 up to June 2.
May 25, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Horford was ejected from Game 3.
May 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Cavaliers star says he will research case further before saying more
May 25, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
Doc Rivers decided to offer his mid-level exception money last summer to Spencer Hawes instead of Pierce. He’d like that one over.
May 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Expect a resilient Rockets team on Monday night.
May 25, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Cavaliers center shakes it off
May 25, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
It probably won’t happen, but…
May 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Cavaliers guard disagrees
May 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
LeBron finished with 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists .
May 25, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
The Hawks’ night goes from bad to worse.
LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks
May 25, 2015, 12:09 AM EDT
The Cavs are one win away from the Finals.
May 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He’s not wrong.
May 24, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
A trend is becoming clear: Do not mess with Dellavedova.
May 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The question really is now much do you value the three?
May 24, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Matthew Dellavedova will start for the Cavaliers.
May 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The Lakers will be picking second in next month’s draft.
Report: Heat still considered the frontrunners to re-sign Goran Dragic, but he wants them to play faster
May 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Dragic can become a free agent this summer.
May 24, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
The rapper wants Harden to apologize for stealing his dance.
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall (VIDEO) 1
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27