May 16, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Thursday and Friday in Chicago is the NBA Draft Combine, where 60 invited players — guys likely or at least in the mix to be drafted — get measured, tested, go through interviews with teams, and occasionally run drills.
It’s a place where a guy can get noticed, although mostly it is just part of a broader picture for teams. Still, every team is there measuring and interviewing guys. Here are some notes out of the first day from watching the television broadcast, as well as tweets from Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress and others.
• Give UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad credit: While most of the lottery picks choose not to play he wanted to go out there and compete. But he’s already slid down draft boards and he didn’t help himself on Thursday.
How bad was it for Muhammad? A number of NBA decision makers told Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com he could fall out of the lottery all together. This for a guy who one year ago was Top 3 on everyone’s board.
• One of the overseas player invited — Dennis Schroeder, a point guard out of Germany — was in the building but didn’t go through drills, claiming a toothache. Chad Ford of ESPN said the toothache is actually a promise from a team in the middle of the first round do take him. DraftExpress had him No. 16 on their prospect list, so that sounds about right.
• Likely Top 5 pick Anthony Bennett of UNLV did not attend the combine as he had rotator cuff surgery on Wednesday. This is not expected to be a long-term issue, but he will not be working out for teams.
• Guy who turned heads? Rudy Gobert, a center from France. According to Chad Ford he officially measured 7’2” in shoes with a combine-best (and flat out ridiculous) 7-8 1/2 wingspan and a 9-7 standing reach. He was impressive in the drills.
• DraftExpress has Gobert at No. 11, but this kind of performance and measurement may have him moving up.
• Louisville’s rim-protecting center Gorgui Dieng had the second biggest measurements at the combine. However, he was in a walking boot for a sprained ankle and is not participating in drills.
• Chad Ford said Greece’s Giannis Antetokounmpo got a promise near the end of the first round.
• Kansas’ Ben McLemore measured on the short side — 6’4.75″ in shoes. Good wingspan, but that number doesn’t help his cause.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
LeBron is going to win, Tristan Thompson is going to get his money.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Another guy who took less money to avoid playing in Sacramento.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
L.A. is all kinds of desperate now that DeAndre Jordan has bolted for the Mavericks.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
How will Blazers fans react when Aldridge returns?
Jul 5, 2015, 3:12 AM EDT
Quality pickup by the Kings.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT
Phil Jackson gets a gold star for this move.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
McRae was the 58th overall pick in the 2014 draft, and is a member of Philadelphia’s Summer League squad.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Nice addition by Orlando.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
He would have to take a paycut, but Dallas needs help at the point.
Jul 4, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The Spurs are going to just keep going on, being the San Antonio Spurs
Jul 4, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
Jul 4, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Bargain for Toronto — as long as the Raptors aren’t expecting any offense.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The LaMarcus Aldridge Effect
Jul 4, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Biggest name left in free agency will make San Antonio a powerhouse.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Cuban believes Jordan can average 20 points, 20 rebounds per game.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Fits with West’s desire to play for a contender, but he’d have to take very little money to sign there.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Clippers went small the final five minutes of Game 7 against the Spurs, and it worked.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
At this price, it’s a fair pickup for New Yor, giving hem another role player.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Hopefully Scott Skiles will play Harris this time.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Curry is just that good.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 17
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 48
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19