May 16, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Thursday and Friday in Chicago is the NBA Draft Combine, where 60 invited players — guys likely or at least in the mix to be drafted — get measured, tested, go through interviews with teams, and occasionally run drills.
It’s a place where a guy can get noticed, although mostly it is just part of a broader picture for teams. Still, every team is there measuring and interviewing guys. Here are some notes out of the first day from watching the television broadcast, as well as tweets from Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress and others.
• Give UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad credit: While most of the lottery picks choose not to play he wanted to go out there and compete. But he’s already slid down draft boards and he didn’t help himself on Thursday.
How bad was it for Muhammad? A number of NBA decision makers told Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com he could fall out of the lottery all together. This for a guy who one year ago was Top 3 on everyone’s board.
• One of the overseas player invited — Dennis Schroeder, a point guard out of Germany — was in the building but didn’t go through drills, claiming a toothache. Chad Ford of ESPN said the toothache is actually a promise from a team in the middle of the first round do take him. DraftExpress had him No. 16 on their prospect list, so that sounds about right.
• Likely Top 5 pick Anthony Bennett of UNLV did not attend the combine as he had rotator cuff surgery on Wednesday. This is not expected to be a long-term issue, but he will not be working out for teams.
• Guy who turned heads? Rudy Gobert, a center from France. According to Chad Ford he officially measured 7’2” in shoes with a combine-best (and flat out ridiculous) 7-8 1/2 wingspan and a 9-7 standing reach. He was impressive in the drills.
• DraftExpress has Gobert at No. 11, but this kind of performance and measurement may have him moving up.
• Louisville’s rim-protecting center Gorgui Dieng had the second biggest measurements at the combine. However, he was in a walking boot for a sprained ankle and is not participating in drills.
• Chad Ford said Greece’s Giannis Antetokounmpo got a promise near the end of the first round.
• Kansas’ Ben McLemore measured on the short side — 6’4.75″ in shoes. Good wingspan, but that number doesn’t help his cause.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Larry Brown said the condition had Popovich thinking about retirement.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
Well, you don’t see that every day.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Wasn’t this obvious already?
Jul 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
It could work — in very limited circumstances.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Bird also says Jordan would destroy him one-on-one right now.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
James Ennis seems on the bubble with Miami.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
I so hope this isn’t staged.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
Dragic would not have fit the triangle, but he’s talented.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Center goes from Frank Vogel to Byron Scott and is happy about it
Jul 27, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
Key Democrat implies it’s not a certainty
Jul 27, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
Vlade Divac is trying to put the band back together
Jul 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Celtics and Warriors finalize David Lee trade
Jul 27, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Did he accept the qualifying offer?
Jul 27, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT
Indiana apparently liked what is saw from undrafted free agent last season
Jul 27, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
Protected second-round pick going back to Celtics
Jul 27, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Miller reportedly wanted to leave Cavaliers for a team that would play him more
Jul 27, 2015, 9:32 AM EDT
Both players to receive partially guaranteed contracts
Jul 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
If Miller wants to be on a contender, it may not happen before the season starts.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If he ever writes a biography of his time with the team, that will be a must read.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:45 AM EDT
The Trail Blazers will waive Haywood and Miller very soon, and both will try to hook on with a contender.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4